0

Booh1
1

Power Button stopped responding. Phone will not turn on.

I have had this Samsung Galaxy Nexus for less than 3 months. Originally, it took about 20 presses to get the power button to respond, now nothing happens when I push. The screen comes on when I plug the phone to power to show the battery indicator, but nothing else happens. How can I fix this? Seems to be a common problem with the Samsung Nexus S.. and now the Galaxy Nexus.

Funny I just got mine a week ago exactly and it has done the same thing on me about an hour ago. Still waiting to see if I can get it to power back on. Not a happy camper at all.

Katzz,

17

Katzz
77

So I had since gotten this fixed with help from a friend.

Solution for when your power button does not work: take the battery out of the phone. plug it into your USB (without battery) you will hear computer beeping. Put the battery back into your phone.

Hope this works for you as well as it did for me as this had my device up and running right away. Have not had this issue since. Crossing fingers.

Thank you Katzz! I didn't think that would work, but I tried it and lo and behold! It works! I can use my power button again!

Nathan Spears,

Hi the USB to the laptop worked for me and my phone has turned itself back on again, nothing wrong with charger or battery this has to be a software problem, in the past I have had issues turning off ! not good this phone has a life of its own. Thank you so much for the post from katzz :-)

spottydog,

thank you thank you thank you very much katzz for spending some of your time to just write that solution of the laptop and usb in this site. it had helped a lot of users tackle the problem. thank you very much and god bless you and people like you

Siddhartha Borchetia,

My Samsung nexus google phone did this to me today...was a bit panicked- it was fine when I went to bed and just went off n the night. Same as the rest; battery charge screen came up so not a screen or a charge issue but nothing else. Came on the net and found Katzz' solution and thought I'd give it a go and now its working fine again! Thanks very much for the solution; I will remember that!

Veronica Halliwell,

Samsung galaxy mini S5570 had the same problem. Back button and power key. followed Katzz solution. Works like a miracle.

Tausif,

0

fish1552
13

If the screen shows the battery indicator when you plug it in, then either the battery is bad or your charger is bad and the phone is not charging properly. As staff at a GNex forum, this is only the second time I have heard this, and the following solved the other problem:

I would make sure the charger is the one that came with the device (I have a few LG micro-USB chargers that fit, but do not charge the device) and wait about 5-6 hours to make sure it charges completely. If it still will not power up, try another battery. (the GNex uses a battery that includes the NFC antennae right on the battery so if you plan on using that, you will need that in the permanent one)

If a new charger and battery do not solve the problem, it may be an issue with the wiring to the battery/charging circuit. A replacement may be required.

@fish1552. This is definitely not a battery problem. The phone had charge but the power button was not responding when I push it so I could not unlock the screen. The only way to unlock the screen was to 'jump' it by connecting it to a USB. I turned off the phone by removing the battery so I could reboot - with the power button not responding, the phone will not come on. When I connect the phone to the OEM charger - it charges normally which is why I mentioned the battery indicator. I posted this on GNex forum as well and the other person had to send is phone to samsung for repairs (verizon phone). I have the GT-I9250 which Samsung USA says they don't have the parts to fix.

Booh1,

Your welcome Nathan. I believe in pay it forward. wink

Katzz,

(I know a little late, but posting up for others that may find this) Here is some technical info I found: If you try to charge your phone by the USB port on your computer, you may over power the port and it may shut off even though it looks like it is charging. The normal current draw on the phone may be just under 1 Amp, but using the normal USB cable that came with the device may limit the current going to the device. Now some third party cables are set up to short the pins inside the cable to allow more current flow. Trying one of those may solve the problem and get the device out of a deep sleep and fully charge the device. That may be why Katzz's suggestion works for some and not others. I would recommend for anyone else having the same problem to try multiple USB cables plugged into wall chargers or even computer USB ports.

fish1552,

0

andrew
1

I had a faulty power button, i tried taking out the battery and connecting to my usb, bad move, probably not the best advice, my phone is now stuck in the startup display procedure.

I really liked my galaxy nexus when it was working but i have only had the phone four months and it's already broken, very disappointed with my galaxy.

0

fghjsfgjh
1

I have had my Nexus for 4 months and I could not start my phone. The start button did just not respon. I tried the: out with the battery, plug the phone to the computer and a so called "beep" did not happen, and it turned on by it self and did not turn off at all.

This is my solution:

1. Once it's on- try to copy all your files to gmail or external hdd.

2. Go to settings.

2. System resore.

3. Done.

That is the instruction I've got from the service desk. It's not the best solution, but it works :/

@ Evanswe - system restore does NOT work - now my power button is non-functional and I've lost everything on my phone.

Heather,

0

Toon
13

You can install the app "Fix Broken Power Button" - replaces volume button as power button etc. Works fine (albeit a nuisance that the power button remains dead)

How are you going to install anything if it doesn't power on to begin with?

John Ta,

0

bala focus
1

pls put your charger without battery and

hold the middle button now put the battery into phone

your phone will move on to recovery mode where you just press reboot system now icon using middle button ur phone will start

0

rockus123
1

My GSM Galaxy Nexus power button also stop working for a couple of days, no matter how many times I pressed it. Finally it works. Here's my solution or non-solution: The first 2 days I keep pressing it out of frustration, taking battery in and out numerous of time. Then I gave up and decided to turn it in for repair. The third day, it started working but differently, each time I short press it, it always ask me restart, instead of just blanking out the screen. It keeps doing that for a day. Then half a day later, it works perfectly again. Short press blanks out or turn on the screen, long press for restart. So the solution is just be patient and praying for others, instead of for the phone.

Edited by: rockus123 ( )

0

John Triplett III
1

open the back, there is a little reset button, it does not look as if you can press it, but press for at least 10 seconds and tur the phone back on. ***VUWALA**MAGIC

0

Varun Khurana
1

I have had the Nexus S for over 1.5 years and so far I have had a very good experience using it. However, last week my power button stopped working. I tried the solutions mentioned on this post as well as those available on other websites. However, none really worked.

Finally, here is how I solved the problem using apps available on Google Play.

a. I downloaded the switchoff app from Google Play which allows me to switch off the screen without pressing the power button, and I have placed this app on the home screen - so I no longer need the power button to turn off the screen.

b. I downloaded another app from Google Play called MagicLocker which basically overrides the default lock screen. The good part about this app is that when your phone's screen is off, you can use the volume buttons to turn the screen on and reach the MagicLocker lock screen. So now, you don't really need the power button to turn the screen on.

Hope this is of some help to you all.

- Varun Khurana.

0

david
1

ANSWER!!!!!!!!!

Its the button itself that goes bad.. problem is.. its soldered on the motherboard.. this place fixed mine in less than an hour and i paid $80. Better than paying my insurance deductable and all my info stayed the way it was.. they even said if they cant fix it.. I wont have to pay for it!!

CELLFONE MD

7708 w. belmont

chicago il 60634

773-625-2800

there was a guy Chris that helped me out.. i guess ask for him!

Cheers,

David

0

Isaya
1

to turn your phone on try the following action :

plug in your usb connector into your phone for exactly 3 sec and take it off ...

you must try several times ...

if the battery icon appears take usb cable off and try again.

It works for sure ... but you have to be as accurate as possible : 3 sec ...

Isaya

THANK YOU SO MUCH ISAYA!!!!! That worked perfectly. I tried everything and that's the only one that worked. Also...once up, the Power button app works to make your volume button behave like the power button...to wake up the phone/tablet/player.. to turn your phone on try the following action : plug in your usb connector into your phone for exactly 3 sec and take it off ... you must try several times ... if the battery icon appears take usb cable off and try again. It works for sure ... but you have to be as accurate as possible : 3 sec ... Isaya

kieran,

0

anzzz
1

Katzz thank you this fixed my issue with not only turning on but also my phone was not able to be connected by the usb cable.

Awesome. :) :)

0

mackenzie
1

I tried the computer thing several times with neither beeping nor success.

On my last try, I realized my computer wasn't plugged in, and on a whim, I tried again with the computer charging.

Other notes: don't disconnect the phone from the cable before putting the batter back in. So you should follow this order:

1. take out battery

2. plug phone into laptop

3. put battery back in

4. Press on

5. Only then did I unplug the phone. You might be able to unplug it after putting the battery in but that's not what I did so I wouldn't try to wander from the path.

Hopefully these tips help

Good luck! and when your contract expires… get an iPhone

0

leteshia
1

Same thing has been happening to me since Jelly Bean update last year(beginning of 2012) and yesterday my power button just completely stopped working(really annoying!)

I found an easy way to use the volume button to turn on the screen without the fix-it button app(I think that's what it's called)

1. go to settings

2. click on security and remove your screen lock(or else it doesn't work)

3. go back to settings

4. click on display

5. click on sleep

6. decide which option on sleep you want(15sec.,30sec.,1min.....)

7. when your screen becomes black(goes to "sleep") press on the volume button and there you go

I hope this helps:)

0

ROOPESH
1

Same issue with my Galaxy y

And this worked for me

Thankz a LOt

0

Gemma
1

Thank you so much for this! Just saved me having to send my Samsung Galaxy Fame away to get fixed :) It didn't beep though, just came up with battery charging screen when I put the battery in, but when I held in the power button then it turned on :D

0

Kevin Berry
1

I have a new Samsung Galaxy Centura (StraightTalk / Tracfone, purchased at Walmart Dec2013).

I discovered that it doesn't want to power on when it is plugged into my laptop's USB port for charging (not sure if it makes a difference, but battery charge was below 10% prior to charging). It only shows the battery charging display.

I used to have an old iPhone prior to this Samsung, and with the iPhone I used to have to wait for approx 5 mins when charging a nearly depleted battery before the phone was usable again. (BTW, this was very annoying if the phone died in the middle of an important call due to a low battery.) At first I assumed that the Samsung was exhibiting a similar behavior.

With the Galaxy I have discovered that the power on function (when charging) seems to work "when it wants to". (...my success rate has been approx 1 out of 10.)

MY SOLUTION (seems to work consistently for me thus far) is to simply unplug the phone's charging cord, and then press the power on button.

With this method the phone powers on 1st time every time.

Once the phone is working I then plug it back in to resume charging.

I'm hoping that this solution persists. (& I hope this simple solution suggestion helps someone else.) :-)

0

barry Cartmell
1

Same thing just happened to me on my Samsung Galaxy SII. After trying the katzz solution (which didn't work - no beep) and trying a new battery which showed a better charge but the phone still would not turn on, I saw the tip from BHARATH RAJU about holding down the volume down and side on/off button together and my phone re-started as if it had been switched off (which I never do). So all is now well - for the time being at least...

0

ciarabellepink
1

OMGGGG!! Mine is galaxy pocket and it worked!! AMAZINNG!! THANK YOUUUU

0

Barbara
1

February 6, 2014 - I have a Samsung Nexus which I have been using since 2011.

I've had trouble with my power button for over a year and was told too bad too sad. Get a different phone.

I would have to hold the button in for a long time or pop the battery in and out. Even when the phone was powered on and the screen just wouldn't come on when I pressed the button.

This past week it got terrible and I was tempted to throw the phone until I google looking for a resolve. I found this site.

I popped the battery out and plugged in the USB cable. I wasn't sure if I was just supposed to plug it just into the phone or into my computer as well so I did both. I never heard the computer beeping noise but the resolve ACTUALLY WORKED!

Surprisingly when I contact the company they never heard of this problem before. I suggested they start checking the internet for complaints with their phones.

THANK YOU!

0

Wynter
1

Well... Ive tried these solutions and im not sure if its me not doing the procedures right, but its not working for my phone...

0

Prakriti
1

Thank you thank you thank you:) you saved my life! I have tears in my eyes now..

0

Joseph Christopher
1

If the power button doesnt work please go to settings> on the phone then go to SECURITY > SCREEN LOCK > Click on it go to NONE. now your phone when ever it gets screened out press the volume button and your screen will come up. i did this and am still using the same option on Samsung Google Nexus S. i hope it works on your phone , God Bless! ---- Rev. Chris.

Edited by: Joseph Christopher ( )

0

kinzahaider2000
1

my power button stopped working so i connected my samsung google nexus s to charger to on the screen.but now my mobile is not turning on even on conecting it with charger.how to fix it?

is the battery dead?

0

William Spade
1

When I Plug my phone into the computer, I get no beeping sound. Although when I put in the battery, it just comes up with the screen saying it is charging the last bar. Does the phone have to be fully charged for it to work? Thanks

0

ankit kumar
1

my samsung galaxy ygts5360 just showing me samsung galaxy yong gts5360 after reebooting it i just get sad and my phone just get stuked on restarting display please help mee

0

Manuel
1

i tried the same thing but nothing happen is there any other way for samsung galaxy note?

0

Dustin Hawn
1

This works for my GNex, however, only if the battery is under 50% charged. It just died (somebody knocked it off the charger and the battery fell out) and I need to start it back up. It is fully charged. I wonder how long it will take to discharge the battery. :( So much sad. I need this phone for work and can't get a new phone for a couple more months (I'm spoiled on Nexus phones. No fuss, and they always seem to work without having loads of crap preloaded. I never have the time to load a custom rom, especially on my main work phone).

0

David Stricker
1

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G for Verizon Wireless and none of the methods suggested elsewhere in this thread worked for me, but the general approach is viable. Here are the exact steps I take to reliably cause my phone to power on.

1. Remove back cover to expose battery but do not remove battery.

2. Plug phone into any power source.

3. Watch screen: First, a battery icon with a lightning bolt in the center will appear. Then the screen will go briefly blank, and a battery icon that shows itself filling up will appear.

4. Wait a few frames of the animation, until the icon is full or nearly full, and briefly remove the battery, then reinsert it. The total time out should only be 1 second or so.

5. The battery icon should stay "stuck" at the frame of the animation which showed when the battery was physically removed. It may flicker a bit.

6. After about 10-15 seconds, the phone should power on.

I'm not really sure why this works in general, or why these particular steps are required for my phone, but if anyone is having trouble, please try it.

0

Steph
1

I've had my Samsung Nexus for years. The power button stopped working for a few months then started up again. It's been off for months and I've moved to a previous phone. It worked fine for a few months now I can't get it to charge or power on. I've tried to take the battery and plug it into the computer as people have suggested. The battery charging icon came up for a short time then disappeared again. Does that mean that it is working or do I need to try something else? If so does anyone have other ideas on how to get it going again? Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

This Month: 3,950