0

Randy Brandon
1

Why can't I repair a hard drive?

I have got a WD 250GB ATA caviar HD, External that quit.

Everything has already been tried to attempt to fix it short of tearing it apart.

I bought a duplicate new drive in hopes that I would either be able to try to replace the controller board(on the outside of the drive), or even resort to opening the drive up, and very carefully replacing the heads.

The only alternative is to spend $2400 bucks by sending it to Drivesavers.

Anybody out there had any luck either replacing the controller board, or the heads?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

Edited by: Sam Lionheart ( ) , mayer ( )

1

Randy Brandon, I can tell you that the only fixes I have tried is the replacement of the PCB. Anything else would require the opening of the drive and expose it do dust etc. This could lead to further failure, platter damage etc. So unless you have a "clean room" and the right tools, I would not expect a repair that will last. If you have any important data on your drive, try any of the commercial services. Hope this helps, good luck.