0

Sam
1

Overheating and battery drain after Fall

I have dropped my iPhone 4 last week from my pocket.

The problem is, since that happened, the back section of the iPhone, heats up and gets very hot. The heat is on the right side of the phone (where the rear camera is).

This results in the battery draining VERY fast. With just some casual safari browsing, the battery falls by about 10% - in just 2-3 minutes.

When charging the phone is EXTREMELY hot.

The rear camera, also suffered a shock, and the focus motor does not function any more.

The exterior of the phone stayed perfectly fine, but I fear that there is some sort of short circuiting within the board. (cannot be the battery, as it does not get hot).

Does any body have any idea how to check for short circuiting within the board?

If you have any suggestions please help!

many thanks

Sam

2

SIMRAN
4k

just dismantle it . take out the logic board out and put back inside after 30 min. do not screwed any screw inside. and put back all the jacks . then use it for a while and check it still heats up or not

I'm having the same issue. Simian, if it still heats up with all the screws out what does that mean?

Patrick,

do one thing remove all the jacks means remove camera , power button , front camera. for checking just put the lcd and touch jack on the logic board not any other and one charging jack and the battery also. then try to power up with usb cable. after powering up remove that also . then use it for a while if still heats up then it looks like your logic board or battery is bad. then try with other battery . still same then last option to repair the logic board.

SIMRAN,

Simran, thank you! Your solution worked. My iphone 4 started to heat up rapidly, especially on the top right hand corner, near the camera, which resulted in the the battery draining out in few minutes. My phone was out of warranty so I decided to take it apart and reseat everything. I removed the logic board, removed all the dust inside and reseated all the connections. Some of the screws holding the board to the metal chassis was loose. It works perfectly now.

Biofreak,

1

Linda
13

I had the same problem

took the phone to be checked and

It was the camera ,, it had to be replaced as it was mucking up the board -

Its fine now

I am a Happy Lady

1

Etrigan
37

Chris, that's correct. The phone can work without the camera.

0

SmartFix
49

Check the battery out, try replacing it but I don't think it could help much... Most probably problems with the logic board. Usually it acts like that after water damage...

0

Antoni Beksiak
1

similar problem: overheating as above, and after about a month the logic board died completely. i bought another phone (older and with many signs of wear), swapped the board - same issue. swapped the battery - same issue. seemingly must be some other component. the camera suggestion from Linda gives me some hope - was it the big, rear-facing camera? i will check this. any other suggestions? would love not to test components one by one.

regards

antoni

0

ZamiroW
1

Same problem and the resolution for me was :

Reset all settings !!

if this doesn't work change the rear camera !

Zz

0

SMARTFONE NI
1

i can confirm replacing the camera can rectify it. even after a restore the iphone 4 was running hot (even power button felt hot!) and massive battery drain.

there was a tiny chip on the front screen by power button indicating a fall.

replaced the camera and now the iphone is stable. not hot and no drain

"Everyday's a school day" they say

0

con

Have the same problem in a water damaged iPhone 4S here at the mo battery drain went from 87% to 64 in 45 minutes and phone was not being used was only in lock mode..

Charged battery to 87% again and used battery in another 4s an in 1 hour battery dropped to 79% and that was being used a few minutes on Facebook.

Have taken out camera now and testing again will update on progress

hi all just an up date have tryed everything with this 4s and still really bad battery drain even disconnected every connector on the motherboard and still no help.

i let the phone run out of battery to see would it charge up and it wont it just shows the apple logo for 3 seconds and repeats. tryed battery in another phone and it charged up fine... in all water damage has won this time

Edited by: con ( )

0

Etrigan
37

In my case Linda was right. I just opened the phone, remove the faulty camera and now the device works like a charm. Until you mention it I haven't notice that the camera can't focus correctly (I almost never used it). I have just ordered the camera replacement, but in the meantime I can live without it. Thanks.

0

chris
1

so it is possible to use the iphone 4s without the camera plugged in?

0

chris
1

hi all,

just wanted to report that it was not the camera.

Is it maybe a battery problem?

The battery has a weird "hole" on the backside, could this be the problem? You see the image within the attached link.

Battery