0

Kevin Bieruta
1

Where can I get parts?

These repair guides are good in all but where can I get the parts so I can replace them. I voided my warranty by opening the case and I live in Canada so I didn't want to go through the hassle of trying to send it back to customer service. My micro-usb connector broke. I tried soldering it back on to the motherboard but it didn't work.

has anybody found a part match for the kindle fire usb port? I have been searching for the proverbial needle in the haystack and although I have come across many sharp objects, I have yet to find the needle. *Sending it back to Amazon is not an option. I broke it, its rooted, its my problem. * I also have the "bench" ie: hot air rework station, adjustable temp soldering iron etc to remove and install the new connector. If anybody knows of a compatible part number please chime in. I fix many products and buying a new motherboard each time a component goes bad is not cost effective solution.

Joe Leon,

Seems like the micro USB fails often (my daughters has also). Though when tearing hers apart, it appears that the motherboard sits on top of the USB post and is not soldered to the motherboard. Anybody else notice that also, or are my eyes going bad? Will keep all posted if I find the micro USB connector!

KingGeorge,

It should be soldered. If it came off cleanly you are lucky. A quick cleanup of the solder pads with a solder wick and you should be able to fix that easily. Put a slight downward bend on the 5 tiny wires prior to re-soldering that way when you re-solder they are pressing on the board making a good contact. Otherwise they could be slightly floating above the contacts pads making it really difficult to press them down and solder once the connector is in place.

Joe Leon,

mine is the same as king george. i am having the same problem. it is really an easy fix with the right part. i just need the part. please if you find where to get it, post a link thanx

steve,

anyone ever find a source for this component? the link above they are out of and don't plan on getting more, I've found close to it but not an exact match yet. Also for the other comment, it's a pretty easy solder job if the pads are good.

iPod Fix It,

4

Kevin Bieruta, most of the board level repair parts are really difficult to come by. ifixit really is not a electronics supply store, but do provide us with great guides, so that we are in a position where we can fix devices by ourselves. As for your micro USB, it is always helpful to post an imagine so we, the users on here can see what you see. What I would do is to do a search on mouser.com or digikey.com for that part. Both are reputable companies and list dimension for most of their parts. Sometimes it fees like looking for a needle in a haystack and will take time to find the right part. In your case the micro-B connector shows as being available right here. Looks kind of expensive and might be cheaper at the previously mentioned site. Hope this helps, good luck.

Agree. +1 to your score.

thelectronicnub,

1

timothy oberlander
13

0

bobr1
1

As for simply buying a new assembly (soldering a new micro-USB connector will be almost impossibly difficult to get working successfully), contact Amazon Customer Service and see if they can give you information about ordering parts. It's likely you'd have to replace the entire motherboard (essentially the whole Kindle Fire innards) to repair the unit unfortunately.

Since Amazon is the only source for Kindle Fire units, they will also be the only source for spare parts (assuming even they can source them).

Soldering a USB connector onto your own existing Kindle motherboard is likely to be an exercise in frustration resulting in the eventual destruction of the motherboard, unless you have a well equipped repair bench and the experience/soldering skills to successfully complete the repairs.

You should contact Amazon customer support and ask them about buying a new motherboard for your Kindle. (NOT talking about warranty service, simply about buying spare parts for the Kindle.)

Replacing the motherboard would be a relatively easy procedure following the guides here on iFixIt

Edited by: bobr1 ( )

Hey there bobr1 could u please give some info to what micro usb charge port u used to repair the kindle fire. I know its a 11011 micro usb charge port but to find one thats similar through mouser.com, and another website i cant remember is virtually impossible unless u know all the details about the port, amazon will not help they suck lol, another option i was thinking is just hard wiring from the mother board a usb cable, but would like to know which connections on the mother board are for what.... example when looking at the usb port from behind connection 1. to the far left is main power/ and or charge power 2nd. one in is "charge power" "hypothetical" 3rd. ground "hypothetical" 4th. one on outside ground

Ryhno,

0

Tom Pershey
1

I just spoke to someone from powerbookmedic.com about the same issue. His comments seemed to agree with the above posts; that it is indeed a common issue, and that, even with their experience and professional grade repair bench, it can be very frustrating, and will likely damage the motherboard to try to replace the USB connector. The suggested course of action is to replace the motherboard.

0

iPod Fix It
51

Actually the repair is quite easy with basic soldering skills unless the pads are damaged but still repairable by any technician, the only thing is the supply of parts. I have been searching and have found some really close and have repaired a few successfully but due to the interior design the casing had to be modified so the original part is key to successful repair.

0

Patrick
1

I can tell you that I have repaired my wife's kindle fire charging problem. I also felt as though the part should be a common one but instead I just took some time and cleaned the contacts and mounting pads with some solder wick, and also cleaned the connector with solder wick and solder sucker. I am fortunate to work in a place with a decent microscope that will allow me to see everything to make sure I have not only a good repair but also the mounting (which is the real problem) during the process as well as after I was done. If you have access to a microscope to do the work (you can get a loupe at any decent electronics store), you should be able to remount the old piece.

0

BEN
91

I bought a usb connector from the same seller on ebay, it worked perfectly and it was a heck of a lot easier than attempting to repair my broken port.

0

Vicki
1

I found mine on F0X pc parts out of Grand Rapids Michigan and the shipping was free the part cost me only $17.99. Just make sure you have a fine tipped solder iron to older it back in

oops to *solder

Edited by: Vicki ( )

0

PohTayToez
201

I've messed with about a dozen of these with hardly any success. The connector is only salvageable if none of the pins break off when it comes loose, which doesn't seem to happen most of the time. Unfortunately the port is NOT standard... the positioning of the pins is fine but the port itself is raised up from the board, which likely contributes to it being easier to break off, and probably why ports of this type aren't used in anything else I know off.

There is a $20 replacement part available on eBay, a bit steep, but the only one that I can find.

0

Dale
1

Check out Ebay, I have been purchasing several from this source. Lowest price has been $14-$17 each plus shipping. There seems to be a price war right now. Just bought 3 for $17 each plus shipping. Good Luck.