0

brodave872
1

Battery shows charged but will not keep phone on

Trying to use a 1st gen iPhone. When I got it the battery was dead. Charged it fully. Icon reads full or on AC power when plugged in. However, when I pull the ac power, the phone will not sustain power. Oddly, if I toggle the lock/unlock button, turning the screen off and on, it seems to stay on indefinitely. But if I let it sit, even a minute or less, it will not come back on until I plug it in. When I do, the batter still shows full power or AC power. I have done a full restore and update. So it's charging. Running on AC power. Running battery power as long as I'm using it. Even took the auto lock off for 5 minutes. It stayed on. But if it sits on battery, it will not come back on.

Thoughts?

I'd put money down that the battery is bad. Definitely try swapping that out first and seeing if it fixes your problem.

Phillip Takahashi,

I've got a question, not an answer. Did you try replacing the battery? Did it work? I have the exact same problem.

Shaun,

1

I would definitely start with replacing the battery. iPhones do weird things with bad batteries. Here is the guide, and I am sure you know it's a bear of job. The battery is available here iPhone Gen 1 Replacement Battery Hope this helps, good luck.

iPhone Gen 1 Replacement Battery

Installation requires soldering — Currently out of stock.