0

Humberto
1

Why can't restore my iPod?

when I try Restore in iTunes 9, get message "iPod to busy can';t restore"

Edited by: mayer, osvaldo, machead3, and oldturkey03 ( ) , bac ( )

3

bac

no guarantee, but here's something you could try.

1) try forcing your iPod into Disk Mode first

- simultaneously press and hold the Menu and Center buttons

- the iPod should reboot after a few seconds. Immediately upon seeing the Apple logo:

- simultaneously press and hold the Center and Play/Pause (bottom) buttons

- the iPod should now say "Disk Mode" on top with a check mark and "OK to disconnect" in the middle of the screen

connect your iPod via USB to your Mac (you don't say but I'm assuming you have a Mac??)

then run Disk Utility, select the iPod hard drive in Disk Utility and try to Erase the iPod hard drive. Select Format: Mac OS Extended (if on a PC, just format the iPod as FAT32)

after erasing the iPod, unplug it, reboot it (press and hold Menu and Center buttons)

then plug it in and connect to iTunes, and see if you can restore it now.

2) by the way, did you know there's a hidden diagnostic mode in most iPods? you won't be able to fix your restore-failure problem, but if there some hardware problem in your iPod the diagnostic mode might point out something

to enter diagnostic mode with the 5th gen iPod:

- reset the iPod by holding down Menu and Center button

- immediately upon seeing the Apple logo, press and hold the Center and Previous (left) buttons

- you should hear a beep and see "SVC Diag Boot" on top of the screen

- from there you can press Menu to enter manual tests

- once in the Manual tests, use the scroll wheel and center button to navigate

- under the "IO" subsection you can find various HardDrive tests, including checking SMART status, HD model & serial #, etc. supposedly there is also a Disc Scan test, but for some reason on my 5th gen iPod I don't see that option

thank you bac that worked perfectly!!

GMDB,

WOW it took my 30 mins to find a helpful post like this. You saved us! haha thanks for posting this Bac yayyy :)

Sarah Martin,

0

varanokaren
23

I got a picture of a plug when I tried to go into the SVC Diag Boot.

Now I am confused. Is this in response to the question after you did the above steps or is this totally unrelate to the above question and you have a different iPod? Can you give a little bit more detail please???

I'm sorry this is a different person. I am having the same problem and the same ipod. I did what you said but got a picture of a plug when I tried to get into the svc diag. boot. So I plugged it in and the apple logo showed up with a loading bar. I thought it was doing something but still didn't show up in my itunes. I tried later to do the test again and got the boot. Now I'm trying to go through the menu but the battery seems to run down to fast. I am in the auto test right now and am stuck in the..please plug FW. I have plugged it in and out but can't get past. I didn't think you would answer so fast because the post was so long ago. I thank you very much for you help.

varanokaren,

Hi there, so what you have done is gone through the diagnostic menu and it hangs up when it checks your FW (Firewire) can you retart or is it unresponsiv? You may have to reset the ipod again , like described in the previous post. When you restart your ipod, do you get the normal apple screen or is it non-responsive? Also you made mention of your battery running down fast. Like really fast? Possible not holding a charge anymore? Do you know how old the battery is? Sorry about all these questions that may seem trivial but I am just trying to visualize what you are seeing on your ipod when it first starts out. MY guess at this time is that you may at least require a new battery and will have to restore your iPod once iTunes recognizes it. Are you on a Window or Mac computer? I have a couple of those 5G iPods and even though they are temperamental I find that once they are setup they are a blast and fairly reliable and easy to fix....let me know:)

0

Nick

If the Disk Mode fails, reseat the HDD cable and then reinstall the HDD in the iPod

iPod 5th Generation (Video) Hard Drive Replacement

If this fails, it's the HDD or ribbon cable for the HDD(try a cable first)

iPod Video or Classic (Thin Case) Hard Drive Cable

Do this option if your HDD is dead

Buy this adaptor on eBay and a 32GB CF card, it will act like a HDD and it just needs a restore after installed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1-8-Toshiba-...

This CF card is good enough for this

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-133x-Com...

follow the HDD guide when you install this setup

from there, wrap the thing in masking tape to prevent shorts

All else fails, it's the logicboard in this iPod, I normally suggest throwing it out or passing it on for this(i'm not kidding, i see some where the battery is SOLDERED on or the board will cost 100$ or more!), but I hear it's a cheap fix for this iPod, so do it for this one(the 5th gen, a.k.a video)

iPod Video Logic Board

Edited by: Nick ( )

iPod Video Logic Board

32 MB RAM on Logic Board — Currently out of stock.

Connects hard drive to logic board — 16 available at 9.95 each.

0

Hassan
1

i posted my @@@! here but it disapeared..wtf???which douchebag runs this seriously

the douchebag that moved it,would be me. Your "@@@" was obviously not an answer, but a good question on its own. It did get converted to its own question and is right here http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/87164...