0

aaronyoon85
1

How to determine which component is broken?

My home and power buttons do not work.

Ideally the cheap solution would be to replace the ribbons if I'm not mistaken.

How can I determine whether the logic board is broken or the ribbons are dead? It might even be both! Is there any way to tell?

5

Richdave
15k

What started the problems? Water, dropped?

The power switch is part of an assembly

This is the home button

Is it possible that it is just the power button not sitting right or damaged causing the switch not to be activated?

Might be worth looking at THIS guide and also THIS one

Edited by: Richdave ( )

iPhone 4 and 4S Power and Lock Button

Replacement part used to turn the phone on and off plus lock the phone. Compatible with all iPhone 4 and 4S models (GSM and CDMA). — 50+ available at 4.95 each.

iPhone 4 Home Button Assembly

Includes the home button and home button cable to connect to the phone. Compatible with all iPhone 4 models: GSM (AT&T) and CDMA (Verizon). Black and white options available. — 50+ available at 14.95 each.

iPhone 4 Power and Sensor Cable (CDMA/Verizon)

Includes proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, and power cable. Compatible with all iPhone 4 CDMA models. — 32 available at 24.95 each.

The cause of the problem is water damage. The buttons feel and click normally but do not function. I've already bought the assembly for the power and the home button. Hopefully that will do the trick. If not, I can assume it's the logic board, right?

aaronyoon85,

Check out this article and consider disassembling/cleaning the logic board etc. May well resolve your issues

Richdave,

I've already disassembled and cleaned the logic board according to that guide. The home and power buttons are still not functional. Is the logic board trashed at this point? Is there nothing left for me to try?

aaronyoon85,

Ok lets take a step back... what happens if you connect the phone to the PC with the standard cable. It should power up without you touching anything on the phone.

Richdave,