4

Skippy722

Makes brewing noise but doesn't brew?

It's a Keurig Elite but lately it hasn't been making full cups of coffee, and just today it finally decided that it no longer wants to brew anything at all and I'm at a loss... Is this thing salvageable?

Edited by: Skippy722 ( )

15

Tim
95

I had this problem and called the Keurig support number. They helped me fix it. Your tool bag for this project is a paper clip.

First, take out the plastic holder that holds the K-cups. You should be able to turn it a little and it just lifts out.

Once out, take that piece apart. It easily snaps together and apart.

Once it's in two pieces, you see the bottom of the small metal tube that pokes the hole into the bottom of the K-cup. Take the paper clip and insert it into the tube and see if you can dislodge any tiny bits of coffe, tea, or whatever you've been drinking. You can run water over the tube while you do this.

Second, lift up the handle in front all the way up. If you look under the top, you see the second set of tubes that inject the water into the K-cup. There should be three of the tubes. Use the paper clip and clean them out as well.

Put it all back together and get a glass measuring cup. Run three batches of water through the machine without using a K-cup. Each time, note the amount of debris in the water, and note how much water is being put into the cup. You want the water to be almost clear and the amount to be consistent.

If this doesn't work, keep calling Keurig support. You have a 1 year warranty and if it won't work, they will eventually agree and send you a new machine. (Assuming you have your dated receipt.) My brother got them to send him a new machine because his stopped brewing too. They didn't want it back so he decided to take it apart to see what the problem was. He said he had a split water line, so in that case, no amount of pipe cleaning was going to help.

Good luck. I use my Keurig every day and really like it.

We use the re-usable coffee filter on it instead of the K-Cups but I'll check it out... the noise it makes sounds like a strained noise instead of it's normal motor noise... like it's exerting pressure but there's a blockage.

Skippy722,

Thank you!!! Worked perfectly and it even makes decently sized cups now!

Skippy722,

I had this same problem and this answer solved it instantly and easily! Thanks so much, Tim!!

Amy,

I thought my Keurig was a goner but this worked like a champ. Thanks so much!

sleepychica33,

Paper clip worked! What yucky stuff clogged! I even ran vinegar water through every month and it still clogged. Paper clip saves the day!

Linda Childress,

3

Marc
37

Take the top cover off the brew area removing the two silver screws under the lid where the k-cup is located

Removed the zip tie leading to the water filter.

Lifted the black ring that holds the hose that goes to the needle and pull the hose up

Blew back down that line and lots of sediment will come out from behind the filter

Turn the unit on and let it brew hot water into the holding tank just so you can see if it is cleared

*

Replaced everything to its original position including putting a new zip tie

on the line you removed.

*

This is the third Keurig I have fixed that has had the same problem.

Generally, you have to de-scale the Keurig every three months

You don't have to use a whole tank of vinegar.

Put a 50/50 mix of vinegar and filtered water in the tank, run it once

Let the brewer sit for 45 mins so the vinegar can act on the scale

Run it a second time and let it sit for 15.

Then empty the tank, washing it throughly or you will get slime that builds up on the side and at the inlet at the bottom of the tank.

Now run the clean water through the Keurig for a few passes until you no longer smell vinegar.

2

Jeff
25

I took the two screws off under the lid opened it up and discovered one of the pump hoses came off. I put it back on and it was good as new. It was easy to get the lid off. Just Need a small Phillips head screwdriver and a flashlight to see.

1

mark
13

Ok...Mine had similar issues. After trying all of these I was still unable to get water to flow. So, I took the head apart. I then removed the hose from the nozzle that is in the head. I started to brewer, carefully holding the hose in a cup. I got some water flow, but not much. I then took the nozzle out of the head and blew through it. Apparently it is a pressure sensitive nozzle and it may have been stuck as I was able to clear it out. I ran the cycle through the brewer several more time before I was able to get good flow through the hose. I then hooked it back up to the nozzle and it works. I just made a fresh pot...good to have you back Keurig.

Be careful with the hose when brewing as the water is very hot.

The burping method may have had the most impact as I would have the machine on and tilt it upside down (water reservoir removed) and I could get some flow.

1

Cal
13

I had this problem with my single cup unit after it had sat unused for three months. Tried the paper clip, no luck. Then I found a post elsewhere that said that if the pump dries out, it can't re- prime itself. I took a turkey injector without the needle, filled it with water and placed it over the hole in the bottom of the reservoir and gave it a strong blast of water until water came out where the coffee normally does. That did the trick.

0

acordatos
1

Had the same issue with a clog. I had to remove the two screws under the cover and clean out the hose it's self. Once I completed it ran like new!!! Tried the paper clip but the clog was too much.

0

Joseph Dunegan
1

Yes! I have the smaller, cheaper unit that a friend gave us. I was so mad that I didn't get my morning coffee, but then found this forum. Thank you! Thank you! Thank You! It's almost noon but I'm having my morning cup o' jo!

0

martha
1

thank you so much Iam so glad for the information it saved my keuig and made me very happy to be able to have my cup of coffee thank you again have a blessed day

Martha sanchez

0

Claudette
1

Thank you so much. The paper clip worked like a charm. I went from no water to brewing full cups, even better than before.

0

louisd1205
1

I had these problems with my Keurig brewer. I did all of the above and it worked for a while. I now use ONLY distilled water. I also shut the brewer off everyday so it can reset. Sometimes I only get a second partial cup so I turn it off between cups when it acts up like this. I don't think these machines were built to last several years. I had mine going on three years with all of these problems.

0

jryll1
1

Also check the filter in the water reserve. I tried all the above with no luck. I then removed the three screws inside the water tank, took out the metal mesh filter, and tried to run the system. Worked perfectly. I then tested the filter by putting water on it, and it was almost water proof.

0

Tom Pipes
1

The paperclip trick does it again! Thanks Tim for your response, indeed it saved me from throwing out my B40 elite. Like others have said, repeatedly running vinegar through did not do the trick. Also worth mention was that there was enough pressure to push an entire cup of WATER through without the K-cup, but it would not brew more than a small amount IF ANY.

0

larry
1

Most of the problems are caused by minerals in the water. Take the tank off and see if there is a strainer (if there is back blow with compressed air, you may have to remove it ..3 screws...I did) reinstall and check that water flows freely when valve depressed. Go to store and purchase DISTILLED WATER in gallon jugs (not spring water)...about a dollar a gallon...use this only...My problems were ...add water light on when full...brewing a half of a cup...descale light on...you may want to descale it at the same time...Mine has been working great for about six months...

0

Linda
1

Thank you !!! Saved me buying a new machine. I used the paper clip several times. It didn't seem like anything came out on the paper clip, but after the third time through I was getting water through better and clearer than I had for weeks.

0

John
1

I was in the same boat.. half cup brewing. I used paper clips (very helpful) I read to put the whole machine in the sink and use your pressure hose over the water reservoir for 30 seconds to flush the system which im sure helped clean the lines but caused the water to not siphon. I was one step away from either tearing it apart or throwing it in the garbage when I tipped the whole machine upside down and shook it. IT WORKS PERFECTLY NOW! coincidence? no clue but hey, it works. figured I'd share for all those who are at wits end like I was.

0

Terijan
1

You are a hero! You saved no only my Keurig and me, but also the countless lives with whom I will come in contact today! Hooray!

0

Carol
1

Well I have done everything here that everyone says except for taking it apart. Still does not work, think I am going to take a sledge hammer to it and tell people never to buy one of these coffeemakers!

0

Derek Joyce
1

We were having lots of trouble and I had tried everything including taking it apart to clear the lines. We finally heard about the perfect solution - instead of descaling with vinegar we used the CLR product. It works great now.

0

roman
1

already had bought another machine, daaam

0

Nancy
1

Tried the paperclip solution once before and it didn't work. Tried it again today and finally dislodged whatever was blocking the flow of water. Working for now, hope it stays that way. Thank you.

0

lisa
1

I had to give it a good whack!!!!!!! That worked!!!!!!

0

Cal Carter
1

Have Oster model, water does not flow from the reservoir into the machine so it can brew?

0

cattylady07
1

Nothing works...tried to brew hot water just into the tank (per instructions above and taking the upper apart) it brewed once now I can't get it to do it again...its like the water isn't getting in the tube and then when it does, it stops at the connection part...no clogs in the line...back blew through the tube and some water comes out but I can't blow back in the tube all the time...HELP

0

Julie
1

i took the bottom plate off of mine looked at hoses..didnt really see anything wrong with it so i i plugged it back in while it was laying on its side so if there was something coming out where the water tank is it would pour out in the sink and bam water started coming out on its own...unplugged it then put all the screws back in the bottom set it back up and plugged it in. turned it back on and it was working like new..ran thru the steps of running vinger through it and its working like new

Edited by: Julie ( )

0

rhino
1

After moving mine would not prime, I tried all of the tricks you find on here I was ready to give up. I took the top where the k cup goes in and I pulled the hose off of the one way valve, I then took a meat injector syringe and put it in the hose while blocking the over flow back into the water tank with my thumb I pulled and pushed water thru the the hose until i got hat water coming out of the hose. this will push water into the tank and prime the pump.

it now works just fine.

0

John Motley
1

I am currently serving in Afghanistan and our Keuring B130 quit working a few days ago. We had to go back to the old fashioned coffeemaker, which was very painful. I was waiting on my wife to send some Keurig Cleaner from the states, when I got desperate and decided to research it on the web. I found your site, used the paper clip trick, and ran two cups of straight vinegar through it and it works like a champ again. The Taliban can sleep easier knowing that we're no longer Keurig-deprived of our caffeine fix. Thanks for the very informative site! Happy Holidays to all from Afghanistan!

0

Shirley
1

I just purchased a new Keurig K-Cup. No water would come out. I did as you recommended and sure enough, the hose was not connected. It works great now that it is connected.

Thank You!

0

Hudson Smith
1

MARK has the answer!!! Take the top lid off and check the tubings to make sure they are all connected. I had called customer service and after I tole them I had done all of their trouble shootings from their website she said she would just send me a new machine. Well oops now ww got it working thanks to MARK and have a new machine on the way!! To bad Keuig doesn't tell their customers this trick! It sure would save them a few bucks! Oh Well, its fine with me and now I have coffee again!!

0

LeLe Calhoun
1

Wow! Absolutely amazing. This worked for me as well. I was skeptical as it was such an easy fix. I jumped for joy when the water began running through. Thanks so much for this advice.

0

benni4241
1

Tried the paper clip trick.... worked like a charm. Thank you for saving me the expense of a new brewer!

0

John Daus
1

Thanks for the help. The paper clip help loose the back wash, but also had to take the top off to squeeze the tube to get the extra coffee bits out while running it.

0

Tiara Poventud
1

YES! The paperclip thing worked like a charm! I was so upset that my machine stopped working this morning, I got it as a gift and I don't have a receipt or a even the box it came in! I'm so excited and happy that machine brews again! yayy Thank you Tim!

0

Dweeks
1

I took air hose and connected to rubber safety hose inside water resovoiur and blew out . Took 1 second. Dw

Edited by: Dweeks ( )

0

Vickie
1

PAPERCLIP totally worked! Thank you!!! Saved my morning! I canNOT go without my Keurig!

0

nancy
1

I have a new Mini - not brewing coffee!! or Water.

But can empty the water.

Whats up ? any suggestions.

The brew light does not come on unless you hold down to empty. And Water is not HOt.

thanks

Nancy

0

Chris
1

I have the K75 model. Been fine for 4.5 years. Today, won't brew. Tried paperclip, no success. Took top off like Mark mentioned, removed hose. Ran it and water comes out. Connect it back up, water doesn't come out. Can blow compressed air through the tube at the top of the reservoir and water comes out the regular way. But when I connect it all back up and press brew, it sputters and doesn't do anything. It is as if it isn't pumping anything through the system.

Ideas?

0

Sandie LifeInPositudiness
1

I was just about to throw this machine away... I just couldn't give up tho, searched more info and landed on this page. What did it for me was unscrewing the top cover. Guess what I found... An disconnected hose!! I'm so excited that Mark and Jeff shared their experience and saved my Keurig!! Thanks guys ;)

0

Sandy Andina
1

I have the Breville version, three+ years old. It's a replacement Sur La Table gave me, no questioned asked, when the first one short-cupped after only a month. (I'd owned a Keurig B75 Platinum that had failed twice and been replaced twice by Keurig--and broke again a week past warranty expiration). I use Crystal Geyser water, and sometimes filtered water from the fridge. After it short-cupped sporadically, I descaled 6 mos. ago, which worked for awhile. In the past couple of weeks, not only did it start short-cupping drastically but also took forever to heat and brew. Got so that I had to use my espresso machine to add either hot water or brew a shot of espresso into the black coffee in the cup!

Did the paper-clip thing on the needles and cleaned the reservoir screens--then it heated a full cup of hot water (slooowly) but only a half-cup of tea. Removed reservoir again to unscrew the top in order to check the hoses (housing the My K-Cup holder and scoop) but found and removed only two screws. And the top would not budge, so I put the screws back in. Next, I removed the reservoir again and hit EVERYTHING that had a hole in it with a blast of canned air. Then I dragged the machine to the sink, turned it upside down and shook and whomped it on the bottom a couple of times. Brought it back, replaced the reservoir, plugged it in and turned it on. Had to reprogram it--and this time it brewed a full 7-oz. cup of Sumatra (as swiftly as when new) on the default 7-oz. setting. Keeping fingers crossed. Next time if it malfunctions I will do all of the above plus descale. If that doesn't work, I will let it rest in peace--at its age it's already beaten the Reaper. Would replace it with a Vue were it not for the huge backlog of K-cups I still have (several months' supply, at an average of six or seven cups a day). But meanwhile, I've developed a taste for a "red-eye" (that shot of 'spro brewed into a cup of coffee). ;-)

0

jlklaw1
1

Used Tim's paper clip method. The first time I was only successful in getting drips about one a second. I tried it again and pushed the clip further up the three upper tubes. It immediately started working like the day I bought it! Thank you.

0

Dave
1

I tried everything and went through 3 units. So I finally took two screws off under lid pulled top cover,pull of the hose that goes to the filler neck ( it goes to the spout to fill your mug and while it's running trying to fill suck the hose until water comes out then replace everything back an it works

0

Judi A Knight
1

I was having the same issue. I tried cleaning the holes, etc. and nothing seemed to work. It seemed as though it was not pulling water in from the reservoir at all. After reading online< I decided to make sure that the bottom of the reservoir was cleaned out. Much to my surprise there was some sort of slime on the insides of the reservoir!!! NASTY! I cleaned out the mesh at the bottom and am running lemon juice water through this. But this is disturbing as we have only been using this for 2 months. We fill the water up daily. YUCK!

Edited by: Judi A Knight ( )

0

Michael
1

I wanted to thank all for helping me with with i was so worried that it was broken i live off of mine :)

0

skeeterwade
1

Here's what I did to solve the problem. You'll need a small screw driver, two small ty-wraps, a paperclip, and vinegar and water. Here's the process:

1. Descale the brew machine using the instructions from Kuerig

2. Clean out the exit needles using a paper clip per the Kuerig instructions

3. Clean the one-way valve. This valve is located inside the unit beneath the top cover of the unit. It will gum up and inhibit the flow of water through the unit. Cleaning/blowing it out will fix this issue.

a. Unplug the unit.

b. Remove the water container from the unit.

c. Remove the top cover from the unit. This requires removing the two small screws from

the bottom of the top cover. Open the top as you would to put in a k-cup. The two

small screws are located on the top. You'll need a flashlight to see them.

d. The one-way valve is located on the top and is a larger clear rubber valve attached to

the inlet needle on one end and the hose to the heater on the other end. This end is

secured with two small ty-warps. Remove the two small screws holding the valve in

place. Cut the ty-wraps and remove the valve from the inlet needle and hose.

e. Take the one-way valve and blow it out from the end that was hooked to the

heater hose. I used a small air compressor to clear the valve. You'll see the check

valve move open and closed on the inside while blowing it out.

4. Replace the one-way valve.

5. Replace the cover. This can be a pain since it's hard to see the holes and screws. Be prepared for a few cuss words. If you drop the screws into the k-cup holder you can shake it and they will fall out the bottom.

6. Replace the water container.

7. Plug the brewer in and test.

Now you can run a cup or two through the system. Again I used a small compressor to blow out the one-way valve. This worked best for me and made the repair quick. The unit has been working like brand new since this repair.

0

babc303
1

I too used the paper clip, had better luck with pipe cleaners. I noticed that often times the some coffee would fly up when the lid was closed so I figured that the problem with the out spout becoming clogged was not a brewer problem, but a K-cup problem.

I emailed Keurig with this solution but they weren't receptive. The clogging problem is solved by USING A PUSH PIN OR WHATEVER TO PUNCTURE THE K-CUP (this releases the pressure in the cup, hence no coffee evacuating into the brewer outlet hole) THEN PUT THE K-CUP in the brewer and proceed.

I believe that if I'd punctured the K-Cup from day one that 90% of the problems would have not occurred. Good Brewing to all.

Paul B

Edited by: babc303 ( )

This Week: 1,227

This Month: 12,351