1

dyoungnz
13

Stripped screw

Hi I bought the Precision Screw Extractor Set to try to remove a stripped screw for a iphone4 and the smallest one is still too big for the screw?

Edited by: machead3 ( ) , oldturkey03 ( )

Same problem. Purchased the same Precision Extractor Set for the specific purpose of removing a stripped screw and does not work. Any solutions?

Fishy,

2

Harry
25

I just had this problem tonight. The screw holding in the battery on an iPhone4 is easily stripped. After trying everything I could think of and searching online for a solution, I ended up breaking out my electric drill and a drill bit slightly larger than the hole in the stripped screw.

I set the drill to turn in the same direction as will unscrew the screw, and carefully placed the bit on the screw -holding very carefully of course- and hit power. At first the bit didn't seem to be doing anything, but as soon as it caught in the screw hole the torque just spun the screw right out.

I replaced the battery and didn't have another screw to put in so for now I've left it out until I can order a replacement. Phone works fine.

If you're frustrated enough to try this yourself, hopefully it works for you as it did for me.

Thanks Harry, this worked perfectly after the superglue and flathead did not.

Max,

1

Brad

Which screw is stripped? A small slotted screwdriver (flathead screwdriver) can sometimes work. A small screw driver with a tiny dab of superglue on tip, hold to screw perfectly still, let dry, then unscrew. Take old plastic pen, heat till surface melts, press into screw head to make impression of screw head, let it cool-harden again, use as screwdriver to remove screw. Sometimes just a new screwdriver helps, because screwdrivers wear out, and a new one may have just enough bite to get the stripped screw out.

1

Scout
25

My boyfriend extracted the stripped screw that held the battery in place by using a pair of nail clippers as pliers. He gripped the edges of the screw with the head of the clippers (I can't remember if he used a concave or convex one but either should work) and twisted until it came loose, then replaced the battery as shown in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYvjuWg06...

The 4s battery swelled a year and a half after getting his phone, but when he took it to the Apple store the sales rep claimed they couldn't replace it due to a potential explosion and his only option was to buy a replacement phone (of course) for $150.

He ordered an iPhone battery replacement kit from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SJG...) and tried the screwdrivers that came in various repair kits but they were all too big, and also attempted the superglue method but couldn't get the screw to stick. Thankfully he was able to replace the battery after discovering the nail clippers could work as pliers, and nothing exploded (in yo face, Apple store!)

Good luck :)

1

Jenny Allen
13

I had this same problem with an internal screw when I was trying to replace the front screen. We were able to get it out by gripping the edges of the screw with some nail clippers!!!

0

ALOUCH
1

so guys do you recommend me to buy the Precision Screw Extractor Set..i have iphone 4s with one striped screw and i cant take it out....have you found any way to take out ???

Same problem here, I would appreciate a solution...

thomaslevesque,

0

thomaslevesque
1

Personnally, I have been to Canadian Tire to buy a Dremel tool. I used the smallest of the rotative tool to create a space to use a flathead to twist the screw... It worked perfectly !

0

Josh Khalili
31

You can try this but i must warn you to be VERY CAUTIOUS in what you are doing. I used this method and it was successful for me, but then again, it was a small screw. *I am not responsible for any damage done to your phone* :)

Ok, so i took a power drill and used it on the top screw of the EMF protection shield. The screw was stripped so I took the smallest drill bit i could find that would just fit the circumference of the screw. Then, very carefully screw into it, completely making the screw into a bowl. Next, switched directions of the drill, used a little force and went slow....next thing i know the screw is out. You can try this but just be careful and don't break anything. GOOD LUCK! Let me Know if you need anything else.;

0

Donita
1

I had two stripped screws on the inner casing (both were the type with washers). Two of the final ten you need to remove before you can pop out the screen. They were in the same location, just on opposite sides, very odd. It took me nearly two hours, and multiple different methods to get them out; including the super glue and melted pen cap. I finally had to use my sisters hemostat clamps (thank god for nurses) to grip the washers and turn them. It took a long while, but after much patience it worked. Im sure you could also use a small set of pliers to achieve the same result. I ended up just leaving those two screws out when I reassembled, and my phone works just fine.

0

Steve
1

Same problem. The screw head on one of the screws holding the battery contact was stripped badly and I had no super glue or drill or dremel handy so I decided to use the pentalobe screw driver used for the two screws holding the back plate on. IT WORKED! I guess the points on the pentalobe gave just enough grip to loosen the screw.

0

asyaangel
1

thanks you so much @donita your response really helped!

0

asanokyo
1

The fingernail clipper trick worked for me.