0

Thomas Cam
1

Remove a key for cleaning

I spilled a little soda on my keyboard, and now both the F11 and Return keys are a 'mushy' when I press them (they work but do not click, need to be pressed with a little more force, and take more time to go back to the resting position)

I would like to remove these keys for cleaning.

Can it be done? If yes, is the procedure different from the one I've seen regarding letter keys on older macbook 'chiclet' keyboards on youtube ?

Many thanks in advance.

3

Ben

Hi. Yes it is possible. First turn you Macbook Air off and unplug it.

Then pull carefully the key with your nail of with the back of a tablespoon for example. The key will come off with a plastic thing. Clean the key hole with humid fabric and the plastic thing with water. Allow it to dry. Then put the plastic thing back first by pushing on it, then the key.

Here is a video that shows you how with a macbook pro Youtube

Edited by: Ben ( )

Thanks. That's more or less how I did it. However the tiny function key and the Return key are way trickier than regular letter keys. For the former, the plastic thing is very small, looks fragile. I thought I had broken it when taking the key apart, and I had a hard time putting it back in place. Regarding the latter, the Return key, it has a double plastic thing mechanism, and a metal spring in it, which made things only slightly more difficult.

Thomas Cam,