0

Henry
1

Difficult to press Lock button, will a replacement be okay?

Hey guys. So I hear if someone has a malfunctioning lock/hold button, then most of the time it will be the mechanism below the button, not what ifixit sells. I have an iPhone 4 with a lock button, but it's hard to push down and it's getting worse.

Will I need to get Apple to replace the switch below the actual button, or will a replacement button do?

is the power button loose? does it give a nice clicky sound? ifixit does sell the power button flex cable here it is: http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/iPhon... but it may not be the flex cable it maybe that the power button itself is not lining up with the flex cable or something like that.

Ryan,

No, no nice clicky sound :) so that part you've linked to me will also replace the mechanism that 'clicks' with the lock button?

Henry,

2

Ryan
643

No the flex cable does not include that part. Here is the lock button, iPhone 4 and 4S Power and Lock Button. I would say you don't have to replace any parts, rather that the parts involved in the lock button are misaligned... i would carefully take apart your phone and make sure everything is in the right place. For some reason the actual metal button that you normally push on is assembled in two pieces, there is the main part (that you see), and a thin metal plate that is located on the bottom side of the lock button (that as far as i know only serves the purpose of taking up space). If this plate is missing are not set correctly in the main lock button piece it will cause problems. I would say this is most likely what is causing your problem. if this is not the case it could be the the flex cable witch may or may not need to be replaced. Either way opening up your phone is probably the best way of knowing what is actually going on, just be careful and follow the ifixit guide.

Edit

I just ran in to this problem twice just recently and it turned out to be in both cases that the tiny black spacer (really is quite small, take a look at a picture of the power button flex cable in the middle of of the actuall power button part you will see a tiny black dot) was missing, I replaced the yellow tape that this black dot was attached to but if you found something that is solid enough and is the right size you could probably just glue it right to the center of the power button part of the flex cable.

Edited by: Ryan ( )

iPhone 4 and 4S Power and Lock Button

Replacement part used to turn the phone on and off plus lock the phone. Compatible with all iPhone 4 and 4S models (GSM and CDMA). — 50+ available at 4.95 each.

0

Serena
1

my button just stopped working today, it seems a bit lose and it won't click so i cannot lock my phone. i dont have a warranty or insruance. help?