After powersurge no light on magsafe+no charge. Board or PwrSupply?
Power went out today and the house got got a surge when power was restored. Bedroom light was much brighter than usual for 30 seconds or so. Misc. cheap Household powerstrip got fried+microwave oven no longer works. My MBP17 was running at the time and I didn't think to quickly power down when the power went out. I didn't realize till later that the magsafe was not 'green'. I always run off the powersupply. The MBP and 3 external drives are plugged into an inexpensive 'protected' powerstrip. Had no trouble with any of the hd's. I bought the powersupply a couple months ago, 'reconditioned' frrom OWC. Could it be a bad PS and just bad timing, or maybe a bad magsafe board? I don't have access to another PS. How do you check voltage with those little pins in the T-connector? Different voltage per pin? Or same v accross them all? Thanks for any help!
MacBook Pro17" a1229 Last 5 SN# digits- ...R9YAN
More info...I tried other sockets on the ps, different outlets in my room and others around the house. I get no light from the magsafe LED at all. The MB ran just fine until the battery ran out. I was playing with garageband until I noticed the low battery, and then realized the magsafe's green light was out. No orange or red either.The battery doesn't last long at all, so I keep it plugged in 99% of the time. I'm hoping the ps is the problem and the logic and left I/O boards are undamaged. I guess I need to find someone with a MBP I can test the ps on...
1)If the Magsafe is operating properly it will not be putting out any voltages until it is enabled by the SMC. To test if Magsafe is good the voltage tests are done from the DC In Board on a known good Apple laptop, as the SMC needs to activate the Magsafe. It is kind of a Catch 22. Have you tried plugging it into a different socket on the power strip? What color if any are you getting from the Magsafe LED? If it is orange or red that means it is charging. On some MBPs the battery needs a 15% or greater charge before it will power up. If it is charging leave it plugged in for an hour (The battery should tell you it's level of charge) then try to power it on. If it powers on problem solved. If it doesn't see 2).
2)The Magsafe should (even aftermarket) have protective circuitry in it, making it die before it kills the notebook. If the Magsafe has no light either it is bad or the SMC can't see it to activate it, in that case I recommend you test the Magsafe on another MBP. If you can't access another MBP then replace the Magsafe. - No further troubleshooting can be done without a known good PS.
Maybe a little late, but maybe someone has similar issues.
The MagSafe adapters have a 3 Stage surge protection builit in, consisting of a fuse, a varistor and a thyristor. Either or all of them will act to prevent the power supply or the notebook from suffering any damage.
In my case all of them were blown which I found our after opening the case. There are plenty of instructions on how to do that on the internet.
Just to test the charger I hard-wired the circuit and oh wonder: Everything came back to life. Now I ordered the spare parts for a handful of euros which should take care of everything.
Reminder: Don't do this if you don't know what you're doing.