2

David Hodson

Why does it take so long for my Mac to wake up?

When I open the lid of my MacBook Pro to wake it up from sleeping, the password screen pops up immediately, but it takes a couple seconds until what I'm typing actually registers. The computer has an Intel SSD, and I don't recall it acting this way until recently. I installed all software updates and repaired/verified all disk permissions, but the issue still persists. Thoughts?

This happens when I have no programs running. I haven't changed any network settings. This is with or without the charger plugged in. Running 10.6.8 only. RAM was upgraded to 8 GB right after I got the computer. It's an i5. I think that covers it all :]

David Hodson,

2

Brian

it might have something to do with the SSD, intel SSD =Nice. Not sure what controller the intel SSD uses, a firmware update might be available? I know some sandforce controlled SSD's had a firmware bug recently.

so prob. not the SSD's fault, maybe the way OSX is handling sleep and hibernate modes now with an SSD?.......it's just the one of a short list of things i can think of.......... I have seen a few postings on the web about people complaining with a similar OSX+SSD issue. Check and see if you have any zombie processes? check " Console" logs as well which helped me with a recent problem.

You may also check to see if your RAM is " ok " you mentioned it was upgraded to 8GB......... do an extensive test on your RAM which will take a long time. Bad RAM can do wacky things and work fine until you do something specific or push the system hard.... i had a windows system years ago that would only crash if i played a game. One bad RAM module.

It's been over a week since you asked the question, and while i don't have any experience about this specific problem thought i would make a few wild guesses even thou you may have thought of these already.

I hadn't really thought of anything, thanks for the suggestions! I'll take a look into the console logs and check the RAM to see if I find anything.

David Hodson,

0

Miker2209
1

Try going to Preference > Startup Disk and restart with your SSD see if that helps :)

0

Ron Rigdon
1

SSD are known not to play well with Hibernation or "sleep" modes. The best bet is to power off and Power on only. With the Speeds of a SSD. Powering on and off easliy rival Sleep modes.

Edited by: Ron Rigdon ( )

0

Dan Cornett
1

See article here: http://www.ewal.net/2012/09/09/slow-wake...

Applies to all recent machines, and to Lion as well as Mountain Lion.