Battery replacement problem checking voltage
I bought a replacement battery from Ebay. It reads 3.8 volts across the 2 outer terminals on the ribbon cable that connects to the main board. I installed the battery and noticed the board was getting warm. I immedieily desoldered the battery from the board. I don't think it should be getting hot. I installed correctly but why is this happening? The ipod shows no water exposure. I also have some other broken 2g touchs they read 0 volts where it connects to the board. Does this mean the battery is bad? Or do I need to measure the voltage on the board on the battery? I am an electronics tech so I have a good knowledge of repairng stuff.
If the board is getting warm even though the Ipod is not on then you probably have a bridge between two of the battery terminals. If you have a multimeter check for continuity.
If the battery has 0volts then it's probably dead. Have you tried charging them? I had a battery in my ipod that didn't charge so I replaced it and the new battery (actually one from a broken Ipod) charged just fine.
The battery doesn't need to be on the board to check it's voltage.
I switched the battery to another Touch 2G and it worked fine. Except this Ipod has a white screen which I can't get rid of. The board must be bad in the first one that got hot. The board looks ok I don't see any water damage & indicator is white on headphone jack. I installed it correctly.And yes you can test a battery that is removed by checking the 2 outside terminals on the battery ribbon cable.