Water Damage to Keyboard & Battery. What are the next steps?
I have a MBP that had a cup of coffee spilled on it while it was turned off. It was immediately brought into the Apple store (with coffee still dripping out of it) and they were able to recover the HD. I took out the battery, RAM, and the back casing and let it dry out for 5 days. I then reassembled it and tried turning it on, but it would only power on if I had it plugged in. I ran the Apple Hardware Test and everything came back fine. The keyboard was not functioning properly and would just spit out random letter and characters when I would try to type, so I marked that down as damaged. I used it with an external keyboard for a few weeks and it seemed to work fine with everything, except I noticed it would get hot quickly and the fans would be blasting for awhile. I wiped down as much as I could and took it into Apple, and they said they could replace the battery and the keyboard for only $280 so I let them have it, only to get it back a few days later because they wouldn't touch it due to the water damage. I didn't think to check it at the store because I assumed they didn't do anything to it, but when I got back home and powered it up, the computer no longer recognized that it had Bluetooth or a wireless card. But again, everything else worked fine. I finally looked up the guide to take it apart and ordered a new top case (for the keyboard) and a battery. I am about to reassemble everything, but I wanted to know what the next steps to take are in order to assure I won't be ruining anything else.
- Should I clean all of the components since I have them all taken apart?
- How do I go about cleaning this stuff, and what do I use?
- Can/should I clean the connecting cables and ribbons?
- What could be causing the wireless/blueto
oth to be malfunctioning, and can I try and diagnose that with everything apart?
Thanks for your time and your help. This community is a valuable resource when you think you're left with a $1500 paper weight.
You need to remove all power sources (AC Adapter, battery[s]) from this and do not apply power to it until you have dealt with the liquid damage.. You need to properly clean your logic board and any connectors that possibly got exposed to the coffee. The sooner you do this the better chance you have at minimizing the damage. Please see this guide on cleaning your logic board and other parts after liquid damage. After you have cleaned this and fired it up again please come back to this thread on what is and is not working so that those attempting to help you have the history of the problem and can better address it.