0

steve
1

Want to retrieve photos from water damaged phone

My iPhone spent time underwater in saltwater. I left it for a week to dry out then turned it on, the apple symbol appeared, it seemed to be working but moments later died. It hasn't turned on since. I opened it up, it's badly corroded. I really want to retrieve my photos from it. My questions are; firstly- where are the photos stored? Secondly- can I take this component out and put it into another of the same phone to retrieve the photos? Thirdly- how do I do this? I hope someone can help! Regards, Steve

Edited by: osvaldo, ABCellars, mayer, rj713, and oldturkey03 ( )

5

pollytintop

oldturkey is spot on about where your photo's are stored. You need to take the phone apart (display, logicboard, battery) and clean the board and connectors with isopropyl alcohol and use a soft brush to lift any corrosion off the parts. Do this and you have some chance of getting your pictures off the phone. Get a new battery, clean your Dock port and try again with connection to pc. With any luck your problem is a dead battery (no1 thing to go kaput in phones with water damage) good luck

choose the guide for logic board for 3gs (under the photo of the phone and then use these guides to help you Repairing iPhone Liquid Damage

http://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Electronics_W...

Edited by: pollytintop ( )

4

richcrowee
61

Buddy, you'd better send it to the repair shop first to check if it can be fixed or not. If yes, you can try some data recovery apps to see if you can use this kind of apps to recover your pictures or not. Here is one post you may need: http://www.uflysoft.net/iphone-ipad-reco...

2

The photo's amongst other things are stored on the NAND memory. there is not really a practical way of retrieving your pictures. It can be done with a NAND memory reader, but it will take a lot of money to either build one, or to have it done through a recovery service. If you have restored your iPhone within the recent past of its life, the images will be backed up on your computer. Sorry, wish I had better news for you. You can check on here for more info.

It cannot be recovered using just a NAND reader. You have to swap the CPU and NAND chip together onto a working logic board because starting with 3GS, all content on the nand chip are hardware encrypted.

Tom Chai,

0

kaissa
1

you can not use it after some water may drop in the phone. You may not recover the photos from iPhone but if you do backup before, you can recover the photos from the iTunes backup.

0

jacob martin
1

The iPhone Data Recovery is an easy-to-use program which will allow you to recover your photos from your iPhone device or even extract the iTunes backup file & restore your lost iPhone data. No matter your data has been erased for long time, or your iPhone device is unable to be used due to water damage, the software can get all your photos back easily. Simply just install it on your system, and choose which files you want to retrieve from your iPhone. The application then proceeds to recover the chosen data.

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , jacob martin ( )

0

clivezachary
1

Everything should be on your computer. The iphone is designed to be synced regularly with your computer. And here are the list you can recover iPhone data

Contacts and calendar items should be in whatever program you chose to sync.

Music/vids/etc should be in itunes.

Pics should be in your computer.

You can set up the new iphone from the old iphone backup:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2109

0

Sam
1

If you want to retrieve photos from water damaged phone, you need the help of a third-party software.

If you want to recover data from water damaged iPhone, can solve your problem. It still can directly scan your iPhone and recover data directly from it, as long as you can get into the device's scanning mode. The program currently supports iPhone 5/4S/4/3GS, iPod touch 5/4, iPad mini, iPad with Retina display, The new iPad and iPad 2/1.

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , Sam ( )

@Sam, you need to read the question before spamming "It hasn't turned on since. I opened it up, it's badly corroded. " no way is your spam software solution going to work.

0

Jennyfei
1

When you come across this case,you must urgently want to retrieve photos from water damaged phone and you should be careful to recover your iPhone. Here is how to solve it:

1. Fish your iPhone out of the water as quickly as possible.

2. Dry it off with a towel or something similar. If it is still on, turn it off immediately.

Note: running power through wet electronics can damage them beyond repair.

3. Remove the battery, SIM card etc off the phone. If possible, remove the rear glass panel too. Apple uses two special 5-point Pentalobe screws to secure the back.

4. Grab a bowl and fill it with uncooked rice or you can also put your iPhone 5 in with a bunch of silica packets.

5. Bury the iPhone in a bowl of rice and cover it up.

6. Last step is: wait day or two.

After this, you may chech your iPhone, if it is damaged, you should recover the lost data from iPhone, it may be recover, if you are lucky.

0

volcomslice
11

check if the waterindicator is on (on the iphone) look where you plug your phone into charge http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/iphone-w... check there for more details

good luck

0

huanghaiyan
1

Whatever happens your pictures have gone.If you want to get them back, it is not too hard for you.To install a iPhone data recovery, your deleted or files are easy to be found.Choose your lost pictures and them come back to you devices at once.

0

pitevd
1

Apple does not repair iPhones, but will replace the entire iPhone for a flat fee; see the tutorials here to know more about iPhone Data Recovery

There are independent iPhone repair services that may be able to replace the screen for less. Do a web search for "iPhone repair". Note, though, that if you elect to have the iPhone serviced by an unauthorized shop, all further support from Apple will be voided.

Regards.

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , pitevd ( )

0

Michael Russo
13

iFixit's "Accepted Answer" by pollytintop is right on target!

Steve's original problem mirrors my recent experience with an iPhone 4S that "took a look" in a five foot deep salt water filter. It took me almost a half hour to fish it out, and by that time it had begun its "flashlight death spiral." Sad to see, sadder still when I thought about how long ago it was that I backed up those photos… All I could think to do was throw it, still glowing and un-turn-offable, into fresh water. Six hours later I dried it off and sealed it into a large jar with rice.

After six days of letting the rice work it's magic I used iFixit's "Liberation Kit" to replace my iPhone's trashed battery with one from iFixit. [Note: This option is a tad pricier than other replacement options, but over the years iFixit has proven to "give good weight" and I feel good when I am able to support their efforts to fix-and-not-trash the world around us.] After the 4S was buttoned back up (with those Philips head screws) I plugged it into a charger, just because. Six hours later I connected the iPhone to my computer and, except for the lack of ANYthing on the display, the computer treated this tortured object as if it was a normal, working iPhone. Jaw dropping concept, that, and something only surpassed by the fact that when iPhoto opened up it located my photos and allowed me to download what I had neglected to back up. That was the good news. Everything else about the 4S, with its new battery, was totally compromised and there was nothing I could do to get anything to show up on the display.

Here is where it gets marginally interesting. Figuring I now had an expensive paperweight on my hands I decided to go back in to swap the original, damaged, battery for that new iFixit battery (and swap out the Philips head screws for Apple's originals). Although these things could not pull the 4S back from the brink, this stuff might be useful if the battery on my replacement iPhone (Glyde.com) goes south. Then, just because, I reconnected the dried out phone, with it original battery, to my computer. The computer no longer recognized the 4S as anything.

Bottomline: Putting a replacement battery into a "totaled" iPhone made it act, just enough, like an object that should be able to give up something important that I wished I had properly backed up. Other than that, this exercise was a bit of a fool's errand. But if temporarily introducing a fresh battery into a dead iPhone could possibly pull back photos from the brink, it just might be worth a shot.