0

Diana Chipkin
11

How to open an iMac G5 power pc with isight?

This is a December 2005 iMac. I am trying to replace the hard drive, which is starting to fail. I've read various posts here so I know there are clips on top. Is there a guide I can download with diagrams to help me?

Edited by: Diana Chipkin ( ) , mayer ( )

This is a 20" iMac. Thank you so much for providing the illustrated guide. We followed it step by step, everything seemed to go well. Then we put it back together and plugged it in. Unfortunately, only a blinking file folder appears on the screen, rotating between a face and a question mark. When we disconnected the old hard drive, we unplugged the ribbon cable on the side of the drive and then used a flat tool to take off the connector that needed to go onto the new drive. We question whether we reconnected the ribbon cable backward, if that is possible. Otherwise, I don't know how to trouble shoot this. The mouse doesn't work so I cannot click on the folder. Any suggestions?

Diana Chipkin,

2

mayer

You have either the 17" or 20"

Apple iMac G5/1.9 17-Inch (iSight) Specs

Identifiers: iSight - MA063LL/A - PowerMac12,1 - A1144 - 2081

Apple iMac G5/2.1 20-Inch (iSight) Specs

Identifiers: iSight - MA064LL/A - PowerMac12,1 - A1145 - 2082

Here's the guide for the 20": iMac G5 20" Model A1145 Hard Drive Replacement