0

Bradley
1

Is it possible to update the graphics card or the heat-sink?

I am thinking of updating my macbook. I was wondering if it is possible to update the heat-sink or the graphics card on the laptop which that can fit in the laptop.

Edited by: mayer ( )

My computer's hard-drive is slowly dying so for that reason I was wondering if I can update such parts of my computer. For better graphics.. Thanks for the help. If it is possible.

Bradley,

3

ABCellars

Unfortunately no to both. However you can upgrade the thermal compound that "links" the chips to the heat-sink.; I would recommend Arctic Silver 5. That is what I use and it has been proven to lower temperatures on Apple products by 5 - 10 degrees C. You can find that here. You can find the instructions for heat-sink removal and installation here. You can also improve the efficiency of your heat-sink by "lapping" it. You can find instructions for doing that here. That can buy you another 2-5 degrees C.

Thus you can dramatically increase the efficiency of your chips cooling system with out changing anything but the thermal compound and lower the temperatures by as much as 15 degrees C, which is a significant decrease in temperature

Arctic Silver Thermal Paste

3.5 gram Arctic Silver thermal paste tube. Thermal paste forms a continuous, conductive layer between a processor and its head sink, improving cooling performance and keeping your important chips from overheating. Whenever you remove a heat sink, it's ver — 50+ available at 8.95 each.

Good info, but is there really a reason to do this to a machine that is working, and possibly under warranty? I probably wouldn't unless I was also taking it apart for some other reason.

rdklinc,