0

Jason
1

What's needed to rehab a tired 3GS?

My 3GS works OK-ish. I'm thinking the Galaxy S II or #5 when they actually come out and moving this to a backup phone status.

As far as I know, nothing is broken, just not optimal. I'm curious if its worth doing a serious cleaning and replacing the battery, speakers, buttons and jacks, etc.

I say OK-ish, because the headphone jack sometimes doesn't make a great connection (static) and I did drop it once in Ranch Dressing (don't ask.) I felt I had cleaned the bottom (connector, speakers, home button, etc.) well enough. But after a year the speakerphone mode really doesn't work well and it doesn't ring as loud as it used to.

I guess basically what I'm asking is what should I replace if I'm going for it?

Thank you.

1

pollytintop

If this is only going to be a back up phone I'd leave it as is. Everything works (not optimal-but working is working) if you really feel that you want it tip top then replacing the dock connector will sort out the speaker issue and replacing the headphone jack will sort out the static...iPhone 3GS Headphone Jack Replacement personally I find the headphone jack to be a royal PITA so I'd only do it if it was completely broken..how often do you use it would be my rule of thumb. Any work on this phone should be done with the phone powered off (hold power until slide to power off appears, then do that) or you risk damaging the display etc.

I hear ya (no pun intended.) I think the expectations of how well it works would be pretty high from the users though. This includes my savy, but too young for her own phone, daugther and overseas relatives that haven't figured out how to use their phones here. I agree on the Headphone Jack. That seems like a royal pain. I have time until I can afford to take it apart and possibly break anyway to decide what I should do. Thank you for your thoughts.

Jason,