1

mrbsmusic
13

Printer won't print in black

This printer is about 3yrs. old. I've tried all the cleaning tips the manual suggests, still nothing.

Is there anyone who has a tip and or trick to fixing this? I've replaced the black cartridge several times.

I bought a case of ink for the printer so I'd like to be able to use it up!! Thanks.

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , David Hodson ( ) , Sam Lionheart ( )

More info needed: * Are the cartridges OEMs or replacments? * Are you replacing the cartridge or just refilling the ink? * Are you refilling the ink and replacing/resetting the cartridge chip? Make/Model?

Reman,

How do I go about getting a diagram to take the printer apart?

ssamuel,

3

Brian Anderson
717

I'm not exactly sure what your problem is, but it is probably one of the following:

CLOGGED PRINT HEAD

I usually remove the print head (I believe on your device this requires taking the printer apart and removing the carriage) and soak it in rubbing alcohol. I then use Qtips with rubbing alcohol to clean all of the remaining ink-paths that exist in the printer. It's messy but usually cleans out a clogged head.

CARTRIDGE ISN'T BEING VENTED

First off, make sure that the little piece of plastic covering the vent hole is completely removed. On some models there are multiple holes being covered and it's easy to only pull the cover off of the first one or two. In an extreme case, I've used a small drill bit to create my own vent hole that I knew for certain was open.

MANUFACTURER LOCKOUT

According to this blog, there is an ink-level sensor on your device that might be malfunctioning or otherwise be in need of bypassing. Something to check.

DATA CABLE NOT WORKING

Each print head has a data cable going to it and sometimes they break or get unplugged. If you're getting no black printing whatsoever and the problem is none of the above, take the device apart and verify all the connections. Unplug and replug any connectors that are related to this system - or just be thorough and replug every connector in the entire machine. Oxidation can build up between pins over time and this simple task can fix the problem in many cases.

0

david chase
133

Seems like may its the only black cartridge which is malfunctioning. However you can attempt to fix it before replacing with the new one. Take your black cartridge out first and try to touch the head on a doubled tissue paper you should see a thick black line if not then keep gently pressing the head over tissue for 4-5 times and you should stop when you see a thick line on it. Hopefully this shall fix your jammed head.