2

Brittany
35

How can I fix a broken power plug?

My friend dropped my computer on the floor several years ago right on the power supply while it was plugged in. It worked ok for the next year but gradually got worse. Now it won't turn on at all. Is there a way to open the case and soder it?

4

mayer

Check to see if the tip of your AC adapter has broken off. They sometimes break off in the DC in port. If so and you can't get it out (very difficult) you'll have to do the replacement rab777 directed you to. I've had three customers who bought new AC adapters and then plugged them in with the broken tips still inside. That usually destroys the DC in port.

That's true, a common problem, be sure to avoid that, usually tweezers or very small needle pliers do the trick.

rab777hp,

2

rab777hp

Here's the DC-in repair guide.

0

kevin
1

I have the same problem, the power cord just quit and the light at the computer end stopped working. I checked the tip and it is good, I also tested it with a volt meter and I am not getting power (DC) out. Is there a way to take the end apart that plugs into the wall and check the bridge rectifie and transformer.

Thank you,

kevin

There are no user serviceable parts in the adapter. Opening one is reserved for NFL linemen.

mayer,

0

picobrew
8

Actually by follow the instructions for getting to the DC-in connection.

If you remove the rf shield

- at the back of the connector

- gently pull back on the top of the center tab

- form a gap that the tip will fit through

- you can push the broken power cord tip out the back of the connector.

Reassemble - get a new power supply - and away you go!

See my addition at the end of the DC-in repair guide.

(sorry for the bad picture)

picobrew