0

Armando
11

PS3: extremely noisy fan

As soon as the console starts up the fan is blowing hard.

The noise is not scratchy or anything but the fan spins at full speed. The console does not seem to be that hot to justify such a blowing.

Can anybody help?

Thank you

Armando

Edited by: Armando ( )

Armando which PS3 do you have? Does it have enough airflow? Are the airvents clear of any obstruction? How hot is the room where your PS3 is located? Do you have it on the floor or in a cabinet?

It's the standard PS3 (not the slim version). Airvents are clear, the room is not particularly hot, even in this summer days the room is somewhere in the neighbor of 24-25°C, and the console is on the floor in a vertical position.

Armando,

I'm sure there is guide on here for how to keep your console (xbox/ps3) in best ventilation and maintenance to prevent ylod etc which might be of use..i think it mentions not vertical?

pollytintop,

I think the 40 GB has a "Fan Test" feature. Switch off console on front, so red lights appear. Place your finger on eject button (keep it held on), switch it off at the bak with your finger still on eject button, then switch it back on. I believe that this will run the fan at its highest speed to "blow out" any debris. you might want to give it a try.

0

Brutyau
61

The ps3 fan has 3 fan speeds (factory standards)

In summer its humid hot etc the air blowing out might not be HOT but the components inside are so this is what its cooling down!

You can notice the fan is louder when it goes at full speed but this is normal

3RD party fans DO NOTHING IN THE SLIGHTEST!

Get AIR CON

Or get a small fan blowing air onto the console. And make sure it isn't clogged up with dust.

0

talldentonboi
1

Sit your PS3 up on something to let the bottom ventilate. Instead of standing it up, lay it down and prop it up on a couple of tuna cans or something...anything to get it up off a surface. That should help quiet it down some.

0

Aaron
1

I encountered the somewhat same problem with my ps3 only after 10 to 20 minutes of operating time the fan would go into high blow mode sounding like a jet engine. Proceeded to feel the air at the back of console and the temperature was very warm. I then unplugged all cords and used compressed air from my air compressor with 2/16 inch rubber nozzle on air gun and began flushing all dust from every angle and every open port including taking off the sanp hard drive door also. Continued flushing with compressed air for about 10 to 15 minutes until no more dust debris came out. Plugged all cords in and turned on waited for the fan to kick into high and didn't also temperature of air coming from the back of console seemed alot cooler also. Sidenote using compressed air in can might damage componets by coating essential components with frozen nitrogen hindering porcesses and doing permanent damage.

-1

solomon
171

slim guide:PlayStation 3 Slim Fan Replacement

normal guide:PlayStation 3 Fan Replacement

slimline guide:not available

normal(ps2)guidePlayStation 2 Fan Replacement:

Edited by: solomon ( )

Thank you but before taking the PS3 apart I'd like to know if anybody has a clue on what the problem might be

Armando,

the problem is the fan doesn't like the changes of the console and will blow hard for for a warning and/or the fan may not be properly seated,so these guides are the solution (sorry there's no ps2 slimline fan installation guide)

solomon,

It is now clarified that the device in question is a PS3 non-slim version. So you can clean your answer by deleted the unnecessary links.