5

Sean Chandler
71

How can I tell if my iMac logic board is dead

my iMac will not boot. I have seen the symptoms of impending logic board failure bit I want to be sure

Edited by: machead3 ( )

Can you get into single-user mode by hitting command-s during boot? -- N

natalia47,

I cant boot into any mode at all I have tried all the PMU resets I could find online and no joy It wont even start up - it is like pressing the power button with the electricity in the house off From what I can find out, this model iMac is not covered by any extended logic board warranty like the G5 iMacs, so this is now an ex-computer

Sean Chandler,

I had an iMac Intel 2007 (2.4GHz) which has chime and sometimes able to boot fully to Snow Leopard after I open the casing and left the logic board lay outside the casing. Could this be logic board problem or the display board (GPU) problem?

Lai Soon Chong,

Welcome to iFixit. You'll get more results starting your own Question instead of hiding in here. Use the search feature for boot problem, display probem and your Machine model name to start, you may find many possible answers to explore.

machead3,

I have a similar problem, with my iMac 20 " EMC 2105, on boot up it doesn't make any chime, the optical drive spins (with disc stuck inside), I tried plugging in a regular (PC USB mouse and Keyboard) and nothing lights up on either one. I only have a wireless mouse and keyboard (APPLE) I am looking at an oversized paper weight at this point but really would like to try and fix it. I shut it down one day and the next day with no warning it just went to a total black screen. Any help out there?

Kim Catalano,

8

Chris Green

Some symtoms of a dead logic board are as follows:

No chime

Fan activity

Drives spinning up

nothing displayed on the screen

no power throught USB (or the otherway around)

No Power Through firewire (or the otherway around)

abnormal noises

fans running at max speed

computer heating up abnormally

display image distortion (prior to fail)

1

info
13

Simple: Remove the Memory modules and if the unit does not give error beeps or flashing LED light, and the LED light remains stagnent you have a Logic Board Issue

0

Ian Johnson
1

So if my MBP isn't showing any response when I hit the power button... no light, no fan, no optical drive activity, no HDD activity, no screen activity, no chime...

What might this be? Doesn't matter what the power source is, same response with battery and AC. I thought it was a bad logic board, but this makes me hope otherwise.

0

Cheney
1

it's useful,mark it~