0

Bahij
11

My iPhone got wet!

Hi , i dropped my iPhone 4 in the toilet , the thing is that it didnt turn off when i removed it from the toilet, so it kept turned on till the second day then it was off, i put it in rice from 3 days ,and then plug it into the mains,the iTunes symbol shows up and if i remove the iPhone from the mains,it immediately turns off ,i tried restoring through iTunes , but i got an error 1611 .. i tried restoring in dfu mode also i got an error .. some guys told me that its a battery problem and i need to change it,any help ?the iPhone is 15 days old ,and i barely used it,i am so upset :( thanks everyone!

Bahij, I would start of with this Guide After that I would most certainly change the battery. Water and the batteries do not get along at all. Reevaluate when you have this accomplished. foolow the guides listed on the right hand side of this page to get to your battery. They also sell the proper tools on here. There of course is also the possibility that it is not your battery but your dock connector. Anyhow, follow the guide, change the battery and recheck

Bro i live in Lebanon and they don't ship the tools here to Lebanon i don't know why . I am scared that the logic board might be damaged . i took it to a local store here in my country , he told me that its totally immersed in water and is dead forever , but i am not sure , cause here they don't have much experience in iPhones . Regards

Bahij,

Even so it has been totally submersed, there is no way I would give up on it. Still follow the guide. Have you contacted ifixit for the tools and see if they ship to Lebanon? If not may be somebody could help you out from here and send it to you.

I was thinking of sending it to my friend in Canada , I heard that apple replaces water damaged iPhones if we pay an out of warranty (OOW) which is 220$ + tax in Canada , and i think if i disassemble it they won't replace it . do u have any info about that bro ?

Bahij,

I do know that the program exist but " For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications." So it is still Apples call if you are going to get it fixed. At this time you do not have anything to lose. I suppose. Go give it a try. http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=s...

3

asle

The first thing to do is take it apart and inspect it. Try this guide:

iPhone 4 Battery Replacement

and then let it dry for a couple of days. A iPhone 4 battery is cheap so I would try that first.

Edited by: Jake Devincenzi ( )

Nope it does not boot up if i connect it to iTunes, it just gives the iTunes symbol and a USB cable . Thanks

Bahij,

Here is what I would do if I were you. Call Apple and set up a repair/replacement. If there is no service in Lebanon you could pick the closest: http://support.apple.com/kb/HE57 As for water damage, in July I sent in an iPhone 4 (sorry, can't find the pictures I took!) where the dock connector was brown from rust. I opened it and it looked like London underground. So they sent me a new one and here are prices (this is for US but about similar in other countries) http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=s... . Believe me this was not about trying to hide a water damage. I even told Apple what had happened. So water damage means your iPhone is out of warranty (OOW) and that is what the service is for. By what you write you might not be ready now for digging to much inside your iPhone. Give Apple a call and go for a repair/replacement.

asle,

Yeah thats what i am going to do ! I am thinking of sending it to my friend in Canada so that he sends it to the apple store , but i am concerned about the sending it and paying the shipment fee(which is rather high here) and then apple rejects to replace it . Anyway i am going to give it a shot ! its worth doing it ! it would be great to get a new iPhone even if its refurb. ! Thanks for the info bro !

Bahij,

My country is not supported by apple.. so i cant call apple .I dialed the Canadian number for the apple store , they said that i don't have enough credits to call them ! and i have 50$ in my phone ! how is it possible that it costs more than 50$ to call apple ? :S

Bahij,

2

Miguel
25

Hi

definitely putting in rice will not solve your problem.

If it is still under warranty take it back for a replacement.

If not send it to a qualified repair tech. This phone will have to be

disassembled cleaned up, restored and some parts will need replacement.

Sorry.

Have a niceday.

Yeah it is still under warranty but if it got water damaged , the warranty will be voided . Cheers

Bahij,

2

Nick

How do you remove all the dirt and corrosion?

Get 99% Isopropyl alcohol, take the phone apart and let it sit in it for a day or 2 to clean off any gook and let it dry throughly,

I cannot think of it, but there are 2 types of water(ironic, I know) that will do this, I don't remember what types

NEVER put the battery in no matter what, you may short it and it may work!

In regards to the screwdriver, it will need a Pentelobe screwdriver, I do not think radio shack sells that, but they sell the phillips you need, water sensor wise, there is one in the headphone jack , one in the dock connector, some in the phone

Here is the water damage guide

and the pentelobe screwdriver

Also, IPA stands for isopropyl alcohol

When you asked about accessory and why I am afraid if apple, I thought I would take a few minutes to explain now when I should be in bed, so that version of accessory means I helped you do something illegal and I knew that, so the court can potentally get a warrant and track our IP addresses, come to our houses and take our computers, heck, we might even be in jail

*I do not claim to be a lawyer, I found this out on google so if you want proper legal advice, do not ask me, call a lawyer and ask them, they went through law school and know a lot more about legal stuff then I ever will*

Edited by: Nick ( ) , mayer ( )

iPhone 5-Point Pentalobe P2 Screwdriver

Compatible with the type 5IPR fasteners used on the iPhone 4/4S and iPhone 5. Swivel top handle with precision tip driver. — 50+ available at 11.95 each.

So? what should i do ? i really need help guys ! i would be so happy if you helped me out , since i don't have an apple shop in my country (lebanon), and i don't have an idea about opening an iPhone .. I don't have the right tools :S

Bahij,

It was sort of a controversial way to make water sensors white

Nick,

Do what I suggested with IPA, that will yield some serious successes, so that may work

Nick,

I didn't get it , what should i do then ? please can you speak something clear since i don't know how to make the sensors white nor what is IPA .. Cheers

Bahij,