0

michele
1

Install ssd on mac mini

Can i install an ssd in a new mac mini 2011 model with hd radeon 6630M or it's possible only in mac mini with Intel HD Graphics 3000??

Edited by: osvaldo, mayer, and Phillip Takahashi ( ) , michele ( )

3

Daniel Valencia
91

SUCESS: Notes on Installing SSD in 2011 Mac Mini

hi all,

I replaced the HD in my mac mini with a OWC Electra SSD 6G.

1. Fan speed the same after; there is no sensor to worry about.

2. make sure to remove black plastic cover off of old hard drive before pulling SATA cable out of old HD; otherwise you won't be able to.

3. The OWC video guide is great, but you don't need to pull out the motherboard; there is just enough room to slide the old HD out and the new one in.

4. Installing Lion over the Internet with Int Recovery worked, but I had to change my wireless network from WPA2 security to WPA and disable uPNP; not sure why. Go with most basic/compatible settings.

After Lion downloaded (4 hours), it installed in 4.2 minutes flat. Jaw-dropping speed.

thanks all,

d

ps: mac mini exhaust fan speed of ~1800 rpm is normal under light load.

Edited by: Daniel Valencia ( )

@Derique Hanche Possible that the bluetooth/wifi antenna came loose during your operation? i.e. at OWC video time index 2:12? does your aitport still get strong signal?

Daniel Valencia,

0

Si Brindley
97

Yes, you can. I'm typing this on such a machine, with an SSD replacing the original HD. You can do this by following along the iFixit teardown, plus a bit of common sense and wriggling components in sensible ways (it's tightly packed in there). You won't go near the Radeon chipset, so the steps for fitting an SSD are the same whether yours has discreet graphics or not.

0

Derique Hanche
1

i installed the same 6g owc extreme 240 in my mac mini server and now the bluetooth will not grab anything - it shows bluetooth is active but i am trying to pair keyboard and track pad (or anything fro that matter) - i installed exactly from owc install video and i did not do anything different - any suggestions or thoughts?

0

Marco
1

I have a very similar problem with my Late 2011 MacBook Pro 13". I replaced the SuperDrive with a 256GB Samsung 830 SSD. I cloned my OS X install wit CCC runing on a second Mac. The MacBook was connected via Firewire in Targed Mode. I kept the original System Disk in its Place and use it now as my final Cut pro mediathek.

Since then i have a very poor Bluetooth Signal during SSD-Disk activity. I use a Bluetooth Keyboard, trackpad and Magic Mouse. All have a Problem with dropping Signal.

0

Dan

Sounds like the SSD case is not shielded or does not have enough shielding. Protecting the rest of the logic from it's EMI/RFI noise (in your case the WiFi & Bluetooth antennas are picking up the noise).

You could try added some shielding around the SSD but be very careful not to have anything shorting to the added shielding.

To add shielding go to Home Dept or Lowes heating systems isle look for foil tape used to seal ducks (not duck tape!). Cover the drive with one strip and covers three sides (in a U) starting at the I/O connector and then back. Take a second strip and do the same across the rail sides. This time remove a patch of adhesive where the two strips cross over each other so you can make good contact between the sheets. Using packing tape secure this contact point and insulate any areas that could get to close to anything. The ground connection to the chassis is made by the mounting screws thru the foil.

The only rub here is the heat build up inside the SSD. Monitor it to make sure you don't over heat (try using one sheet across the rails if it gets too hot). The foil directly is not the problem it's the adhesive acts as a bit of an insulator.

Getting a metal/metal plated plastic boxed SSD should do better. Also make sure you have the power cord plugged into a grounded outlet as well (grounding doesn't help if it's not connected).