0

Jack
1

Home button does not "click".

Replaced the LCD and Digitizer on an IPod 4 touch. All seems to work, but the home button has lost its ability to "click", pushing down on the home button does not respond. Does it mean that the rubber gasket is shot, or did I lose some spring or similar small part? The button looks OK.

4

Scott Head

Look at this picture of the home button controller:

That is the part that is responsible for that clicking action. That part is probably out of place, missing or broken. I would take the panel off (sorry, I know it's not easy) and see if you can see the home button controller. Check and see if the whole assembly is intact and if it's in the right spot. I'd also try to depress the button as well and see if you can't get that clicking action to work.

Repair Guide:

iPod Touch 4th Generation Home Button Ribbon Cable Replacement

I opened the panel, the controller looks intact, in fact, i can push on the tiny gold colored button and it clicks, but when put the black outside button (with the rubber gasket, and stainless steel round plate on other side) on top in proper position over the controller, the click does not occur. The tiny gold colored button does not have a black spot on it as noted on the picture you have. Do I need to put a small drop of black silicone on it? Perhaps that would offer a surface to allow the steel disc to push down on the controller? The rubber gasket do anything? Or just act as a dust protection? Thanks for the response

Jack,

That gasket is mainly for dust. You could try to modify the button and see if it'll work. You're on the right track. Otherwise replacing that home button controller should do the trick. We don't sell that part (yet). So I would check the Google machine and see where you can find it if you want to replace it.

Scott Head,

I am having the EXACT same problem! What did you end up doing?

daviddefillipo1,

0

justfinethanku
31

What you have to do is glue a small piece of plastic onto the gol/yellow dot that clicks.

0

steve
1

I've seen the guide for replacing the home button controller, but not where to buy one: are they available?

0

mark
1

About the small black dot:

I had a similar problem with my ipod 4's home button suddenly not working. I opened it up, and removed a mysterious piece of black plastic that was wedged in there. In the process, I accidentally stuck that black dot to my thumb. I attempted to get it back on, and lost it. I was able to fix it with two VERY SMALL pieces of electrical tape( think two corner tips from one piece). I just stuck it on, and the ipod worked fine. In addition to that, the ipod has an electronic home button, activated via settings-general-accessibility-assistive touch. Just turn that on, and a white dot will then take up a corner of the screen. Upon tapping the dot, you are presented with a home button, voice control, and various other options. Hope this helps!

0

Stephen
1

I have the same problem after i took the Ipod apart to replace the digitizer i must have lost the "little black dot"

I dont want to replace the entire home button controller so ill try the ideas above.

Does anyone know how big the piece of plastic or tape needs to be?