2

Molly Carpenter
25

I can't hear my phone calls unless I put it on speaker.

I can't hear my phone calls unless I put it on speaker, but everyone can hear me fine even if my lphone is not placed on speaker. I've taken really good care of it and have only dropped it once which was a few months ago. I just woke up the other morning after charging it and it no longer works right. I've tried everything such as reseting it and placing half a qtip in the ear bud holder. I have an appointment to go to apple to have it checked out but I live so far from the store that it would really be helpful for me to figure this out on my own. Does anyone know a way to fix it? I would greatly appreciate it =]

Edited by: qpunk and oldturkey03 ( ) , oldturkey03 ( ) , oldturkey03 ( )

8

applebaaz
95

Just push the top area (near the speaker and front camera) by your tumb gently.

That's it.

Thank you applebaaz just saved me trip to apple

andrejones2004,

applebaaz!!! You rock.. I tried everything, including the blowing and nothing.. I just pushed on it like you said and BAM! working again! Thank you!

amyjerome,

Applebaaz, thank you so much!!!!

Anna Toupitsyna,

Thanks applebaaz!!!! Blowing with my mouth worked for me:) Already purchased earphones with mic for $21, since Apple was asking for $129 before tax, to repair it.

Uyi,

Slight press to the top and a blow to the ear plug port... BAM! I'm back!!!

cheqwon88,

3

Scott Head

Try to record a voice memo and play it back over the earpiece speaker as opposed to the speakerphone speaker.

If you can hear the voice memo over the earpiece speaker, that means it's probably software related in which case a restore in iTunes might fix it.

If you still cannot hear the voice memo over the earpiece speaker, the speaker may be broken/defective in which case you are probably better off taking it back to Apple if it is under warranty. You can also try to replace it yourself if Apple will not.

I would try a restore in either case regardless just in case it would save me a trip to the Apple store.

nothing came threw on the voice memo when i took it off speaker. But thank you that was really helpful. If anyone else has this problem, all i had to do was blow in the earpeice speaker. I guess dust just got inside of it. but it now works & it saved me a 3 hour drive to the apple store.

Molly Carpenter,

I love you!!!!!!!!! lol my phone fell the other night, only about a foot from the ground, but after that I had the same issue...no sound except for with the speaker and headphones. I loved the voice memo test, so I tried it...still no sound. So I blew into the earpiece speaker. bam. works again :) Thank you soo much for posting this! I have been reviewing forum after forum. And the nearest Apple store to me is 7 hours away. I am super grateful, thanks again!

Helen S,

i just blasted a load of compressed air in to the headphone socket and bingo i am working - dropped my phone as i was getting out of the car and it landed in the smallest mini puddle possible - i got it out str away and there was next to no water on it - but it wouldn't play phone calls other than on headphones and speaker - but now working after being left over night and the air blast

justin,

YOU PEOPLE ROCK! Same issues, dropped this morning couldn't hear from ear piece, tried the memo test, nothing, blew in the earpiece and voila it worked! YAY ... Thank you.

aimeeski,

OMG, thank you, thank you Molly Carpenter! I have been trying for two days, spending hours online getting answers, following all the instructions and nothing worked until I read your message about the dust, and took a toothpick, and swiped it back and forth a couple of times and saw a bit of dust at the end of the toothpick, then I blew into the ear piece and lo and behold and I can NOW hear people, I love you!!!!!!!! So grateful I found your posting. Have a GREAT DAY!

Cheryl Endicott,

0

Amanda Schmidt
1

Sweet a little compressed air in the earphone jack and BAM!!! Working - Thanks!!

0

Janet Tideman
1

Did not work for me, I guess mine is a different issue with the same symptoms. It's a new phone, worked last week, I did not drop it. When I make a call the person can hear me but I can't hear them. It works on speaker, it plays music, etc.

I don't know how to make the voice memo go to the ear speaker, it seems to always play on speaker. Any hints on that?

0

shaun meht
1

when you go into voice memo to play the recording, next to the big red recording button on the screen, in the top right hand corner is a small speaker logo it should be colored blue, if you press it, it should go black which deactivates the speaker. the recording should play through the earpiece now

0

li hash
1

i tried pressing on the top right then left a few times and it worked.

used skype answering app for incoming audio help. tks

0

sam
1

just soak a piece of cotton ball with petrol and gently clean the earpiece.it will work out just fine.it worked in my case.

0

Chris V
1

I had the same issues and think it got a little wet from drizzling rain....

So I put it in a bag of rice for a bit and then on the cold setting of the hair dryer on the ear piece. Rebooted it and it works again. COLD setting on the hair dryer! So you don't fry anything internally.

Pushing on the top. Didn't work.

Blowing in the top. Didn't work.

The voice memo trick. Didn't work.

So for those of you out there that get through the suggested tricks above and it still didn't fix the problem. I hope mine help.

;)

0

Jenny Churchill
1

Thank u applebaaz that worked!

0

valrdun
1

Blow drying it on cold worked for me. Thank you so much!!! None of the others worked.

0

Jac
1

Not sure which suggestion worked, I tried them all and low and behold the earpiece works!

Thank you sooo much!

0

jabrea thornton
1

This really works you guys . Thank you so much - Rose

This Week: 1,109

This Month: 3,693