0

Belinda
1

won't turn on even though battery charged

Our Canon EOS 7D is about 6 months old. Can't get it to switch on - have fully charged the battery but it just flashes empty. Bought a second battery a couple of days ago and same thing. The CF door closed and the battery door closed, tried taking out the clock battery and resting for a few minutes, still nothing. tried with lens on and off, still nothing.

Any ideas?

WOw.. have the exact same problem.. also as If i should have posted this.. Trying to get copy of my receipt... will see firmware idea.. but if camera doesn't turn on can firmware still be updated?

Luis,

3

Leonard Putra
67

6 months old..? Claim your warranty then...

2

Technician X
127

This is usually caused by a loose screw (one or more of the screws holding the DC to DC board on the bottom). They can end up anywhere and usually cause extensive circuit damage by shorting different parts of the camera. This is a Canon repair

As I said befoe, the flashing empty battery symbol and the ERR 40 on a 7D are usually caused by a screw that comes loose on the bottom board. As this board has the flash capacitor and its support circuitry you have over 300 volts available to be shorted into a six volt circuit which then fries.

Technician X,

1

Heath Upchurch
13

You may want to update your firmware. I had an issue much like this and they said that they had an update come out to fix this issue soon after the camera was released. You can find firmware updates on canons website.

0

pcpg1
1

How about acquiring the AC unit? Be sure you can get a refund if that doesn't do the trick. Perhaps the contacts are dirty. You can try a pencil eraser. This works well with Ram cards so it may solve your issue. Be sure to have an air compressor can to blow out any excess. There are also contact cleaners that quickly dry and clean contacts that may help. if you bought your camera on a credit card your warranty should be doubled as with most credit cards. As far as I know (i've done 3 already) camera needs to be "on" to do the firmware update. Try pulling out the CF card see if the camera turns on.

0

Normand Legault
1

I had the exact same problem, and the fix was easy. Try replacing the Date/Time Battery (it's a CR1616 lithium battery); it did the trick for me, everything got back to normal. See page 235 of your owner's manual for its location. Good luck!

0

asdfphotg
1

It's probably the DC/DC board. The DC DC board is not at the bottom, it's at the top under the power button. Contrary to popular belief, the 7d is not weatherproofed AT ALL and moisture is able to squeak through the cracks in several places. I've replaced this board twice. If you decide to do it, it is not that hard but make sure you discharge the flash capacitor first (use a heavy duty resister NOT A SCREWDRIVER). Take a lot of pictures and use a cupcake pan to put the parts and screws. Sometimes when one of the other boards is bad, the DC board will go out again (it has fuses on it). The next logical one to replace is the flash capacitor board. Both are available cheaply.

0

Jean Lucas
1

Check the CF door micro-switch. That was the problem on my 7D when it refused to power up all of a sudden after 3 years of faithful services. Applying some pressure on the door from right to left on the upper part of the CF door might fix it.