Help! Why is iSight not working?
I bought my macbook pro from a friend who fixes up computers. When I took it home the iSight didn't work, it doesn't show up in the usb in system profiler and i get this message when i open up photobooth, "There is no connected camera." My friend opened it up and reconnected the cables, reset the p-ram and all that stuff. It still does not work. Do I need to buy this replacement cable/parts? MacBook Pro 15" (Models A1226/A1260) iSight Assembly
Replace a broken iSight. — Currently out of stock.
Drop the folder iSightFix inside /Library/Startu
download it here-->
$ cd /Library/Startu
$ sudo chown -R root iSightFix
$ sudo chgrp -R wheel iSightFix
$ sudo chmod -R 755 iSightFix
$ ls -l
drwxr-xr-x 6 root wheel 204 9 Dec 10:25 iSightFix
The correct permissions should look like this (doing Apple-I on the iSightFix folder):
Many thanks for publishing this patch.
At first it did not work for me, but it did when I modified the Info.plist contained
in the AppleUSBVideoSu
the System Profiler.
When you get a "Vendor specific" USB device, instead of "Built-in iSight", it means
that Vendor ID and/or Product ID in the firmware are corrupted. In order to force firmware
reloading, you must thus:
1. Take note of "Vendor ID" and "Product ID" shown in System Profiler;
2. Convert the two IDs from hexidecimal to decimal. You can find a conversion utility
Example. If Vendor ID is 0xffac, type ffac in the converter and click on "to decimal"
button (result for ffac is 65452);
3. Take note of the two decimal values;
4. Open the downloaded iSightFix folder;
5. Open the Resources folder;
6. Cntrl-click on AppleUSBVideoSu
7. Choose "Show package contents";
8. Open the Contents folder;
9. Double click on the Info.plist;
10. Expand IOKitPersonalit
11. Expand "Video support";
12. Modify the value of idProduct to match the decimal value of "Product ID";
13. Modify the value of idVendor to match the decimal value of "Vendor ID";
14. Save Info.plist (File menu->save);
15. Quit "Property List Editor";
16. Drop the folder iSightFix inside /Library;/Start
described and restart your Mac;
17. Once the iSight is recognized by Mac OS/X, move the folder
iSightFix from /Library/Startu