1

Pat O
35

iPod Touch stuck in recovery mode. iTunes won't restore.

My husband plugged his 'apparently dead' iPod Touch into his USB port on the computer and, once it charged some, iTunes didn't recognize it as his iPod (calling it an "iPhone" rather than "Ed's iPod"). It said that iTunes had detected an iPhone in recovery mode and that he had to restore it. When he clicked on 'restore' it said, "Software for this phone is not currently available. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes and try again." After a few days (after the battery was fully drained again), I plugged it into a wall charger and it began to charge. I was able to fully see everything still on the iPod and even to access his apps. I let it fully charge, but when I unplugged it, it went black again and now it will not do anything. Back to a black screen and if we plug it into the computer, the same cycle starts again with it being recognized as an iPhone needing to be restored, etc.

UPDATE: So, I let the iPod fully drain again and then plugged it into the computer and iTunes. It saw it as an iPod again and said it was in recovery mode and I was able to tell it to restore it. It went through the entire process, and as the iPod was restarting, it again called it an iPhone in recovery mode. Now I can no longer see the apps and the homepage on the computer but rather it shows the symbols to plug it into iTunes to set it up - but again, says it is in recovery mode but will not restore it.

PLEASE HELP.

Ultimately, when the ipod touch is completely dead, it will work if connected to wall charger while it is charging. But when it is has a charge it will no longer work - whether or not it is plugged in.

Someone please help! :)

Edited by: Pat O ( )

Pat O start with a new battery. You'd be surprised to see the errors that occur when the battery is not working right. Once you get the charging and holding a charge under control, use itunes to restore the iPod, Just remember that your will lose all your data when you restore. Good Luck

1

Pat O you can always try iReb from here or iRecover from here and try to kick your touch out of the recovery loop. Also check this http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/48952... for a problem similar to yours. Hope this will help. Good Luck

1

bipsa
13

Whenever, a situation as such is faced when your ipod touch turns to recovery mode and does not restore to normal mode, however so hard you try, it is most likely to be the impact of severe errors post firmware upgrade, this is the time when it is outmost importance to have the ipod restored and ipod touch file recovery done with the help of backup, if not recovery utilities may also be opted for.

0

damian
1

help me i gt a 5th gen ipod touch 32gig today ad its stuck on recovery mode

i was downloading something of itunes and it came up with your ipod is in recovery mode ive tryed restoring it so many times someone please help me

damian,

0

jordan
1

ya me to

0

Kellie Whited
1

I too am having the same problem and can't get the darn thing out of recovery mode and it will not turn on unless it is plugged in and charging or on my ihome speaker. Please help!

0

Pat O
35

Well, eventually I did take the iPod to an Apple store and it turned out to be a software problem. At the time they did replace it for me, although I think they have gotten stricter in doing replacements outside of the parameters of their warranties.