0

souljakid9
1

What to do when my iPod is disabled?

My ipod says its disabled and connect to itunes and when I connect it to Itunes it says I have to unlock the iPod before I do anything. I'm now confused.

Edited by: oldturkey03, rj713, and pollytintop ( )

How did it get disabled? What computer and what OS are you using? Win or Mac?

7

Tristan
514

This problem has been going around for quite a while, Heres what you must do, However, be aware that this process will erase all data on your iPod Touch. To fix the disabled problem, you must go into DFU Mode and restore.

DFU Mode

1. Connect your iPod to your computer
  2. Turn your iPod Off
  3. Press and hold the power button for 3 Seconds
  4. While continuing to hold the Power button, press the home button as well for 10 seconds
  5. While holding down the home button, release the power button for another 10 seconds
  6. iTunes should detect the iPod in recovery mode, press OK, and restore your iPod, from this point forward you may release the buttons. If you have not reached this point, then you have not entered DFU Mode

Your iPod should be running again after this process. From this point you can restore to a backup, if there is one present.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bITIiGswj... - This should help you out!

Tristans answer worked very well thank you and definitely go with his.

byronjohnson,

The first answer worked perfectly. My daughter's iPod had been pinched by at school. She managed to find it but the thief had tried to guess her passcode lock and it disabled. I'm so glad that I found this site. Thank you all so much for posting answers I was stuck and she was not a happy bunny.

Smoo71,

5

Here is my answer from http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/48976... "Apple says "If you cannot turn off the device using the slider, press and hold the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. When the device turns off, release the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons." Now there is a way to erase the password but I am not sure if this would work when you are already disabled. This will not erase any data on your device. I guess you can always try and hope you have a windows computer :-) anyhow you plug in your iPod. Open My Computer (or Computer for Vista). Click on Folder options and enable to view hidden files. Next go to iPod_control and click on the folder named Device. If your iPod is locked, there will be a file _locked . Rename the file to _unlocked. Remove your iPod and it will be cleared" you can also check on here http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/45131... Good Luck.

Very Interesting, Mr. OldTurkey.... I never knew this was an option.

revanantwraith,

1

jeddyr
13

Real Way---here are the directions......1.first you have your iPod usb connected to the computer in usb slot.2. hold the power button and home for 10 seconds.3.a slide power off option will appear then (ignore it).4.as soon as your iPod turns off you let go of the power button and not the (home).5.a apple logo would appear then you let go and in a few second a recovery mode option should appear on your computer.6.press (ok).7.it should take you to recovery mode you click (restore) and your iPod should go back to default options and everything will be just like it came out the box.(IMPORTANT)it will only work on the computer that you started your iPod on,My advice to you is if its stolen or found take your iPod to a apple store or if not maybe a repair shop because theres nothing you can do if you try to guess the passcode it will locked and it will be worst Than you think.!!!!!!GOOD LUCK:0

Check the answer given by Tristan on Apr 12 2011. Pretty similar, don't you think. What makes you think that you will have to go to an Apple store if "your" solution does not work? Rest assured, the other answers work very well...

1

Casandra
13

first, connest to itunes. plug in your ipod to the USB and the plug. press the home and power button but ignore thhe red slide. it will turn off. once it is turned off, let go of the power button, but keep pressing down the home button. your ipod will go into recovery mode. then go to the itunes link you already had and click on the tab. follow its insrtuctions and your ipod will be unlocked!

1

Html Actor
13

Connect it to itunes library you normally sync it with and restore it.

Or you could go to Apple support

0

Andrew Che
1

if you have a mac computer, put the plug into your i touch and turn on i tunes on your computer. now wait until sync in progress shows up on your i touch. cancel then put in your passcode and wala......... its fixed

0

paul
1

you unplug your ipod hold the start button at the same time plug in your ipod

thankyou so much this helped alot

nikkihop,

0

Boss
1

my ipod had disabled by someone after that i had many tries to enable it. Now i am very very happy through yours. I am thanking you '

I am Hafeel from Sri Lanka

0

Dinner42
1

I find an artilce about how to recover iPod Touch backup password when you connect it to iTunes, I hope it helpful:

http://www.recoverlostpassword.com/artic...

0

Zekrom
13

Take the charger out of the iPod but let stay in the PC. Then hold the home button and plug in the device without letting go. Keep holding until a message says something relevant to what I'm saying and it will walk you through the rest.

0

adilenee
1

what about on a windows 8 laptop

0

Zayed Zulkernain
1

it is working...but it always off the ipod..so i must restart it again(my ipod)

0

maddog
1

i did wat u told me and now my ipod wont turn on so thanks alot guys

0

Julie Baseley
1

My son cannot remember his passcode and so the iPod disabled.

0

ebony
1

thank you Tristan my i pod got taken and i had no way of unlocking it unfortunately this means all my music will be erased and after 2 years of it been taken i have no clue as to what the apple id or password is :/

0

ceaera
1

my dad tried getting on it and tried all different passwords and now its disabled

0

Lily bear
1

I have a Mac computer and the iPod 4 generation and it's disabled what should I do and I don't know the password

This Month: 2,175