0

Amy Hersman
1

Coffee and cream on keyboard - black screen and beep

Child spilled coffee (with cream) on my keyboard but I was able to dab it up fast and felt like I cleaned it adequately. Several hours later opened lid to have grayed box saying "power down", I did. Now when I try to power up it just beeps; beep-pause-beep-pause-beep... continuously, NOT three beeps.

I disassembled to see if any liquid was inside and nothing there - dry and clean.

Was hoping the de/reassembling would "jiggle" problem gone but still get beeps and black display.

Ideas on what went wrong (other than hurting it's feelings by not pampering it after the spill...)

Yeah, feeding coffee to a child is just wrong ;-) How many beeps in a row?

mayer,

The beep you're describing is usually due to bad RAM. Try pulling that out for a while and letting the whole thing dry for a couple days. Also, follow mayer's answer below. Just let the whole thing air out for several days in general.

Josh,

Yes - coffee to child is bad but how else can I legally stunt her growth so she will be my baby forever... ;'0 I DID follow the suggestions and viola! it's working again - sorta - I have a screen and files back but it appears that the keyboard is only partially working - random keys too (Q, A, T, I, 1, 8 and the delete key!) Since I'm a stay at home mom (aka unemployed) do you think this is a quick and easy fix? I would love to salvage this ole white box and put money towards college funds (or a vacation...) Thanks for your advice so far - as Charlie the Tiger says - It's GRRREEAT!

Amy Hersman,

My your week went bye a lot faster than mine. Please let it dry. I tried giving mine cigarettes and booze but stopped when she hit 5'11". Nice thing is my grandbaby.

mayer,

Okay - macbook is still "drying out"... So it's possible that the liquid could have shorted out some of the keyboard? If I leave it for a few more days there might be full usage again? If not,... is a keyboard an easy fix or I guess I could purchase a peripheral. Ideas?

Amy Hersman,

3

mayer

Unplug it and remove the battery. Get the topcase off ASAP, turn it upside down on some paper towels and forget it for a week to let it dry. Inspect the logic board for any sign of damage. Here's how to get the top case off: MacBook Core Duo Upper Case Replacement