0

Dave
1

iBook start up problem,stuck on grey screen.

I have bought a second hand ibook which started up fine when I got it, it just needed operating software installing. My old OS X disc will not install. I am now stuck with a grey screen with the turning wheel. Have tried a new install disc,created from a friend's disc which he put on a web site for me to download and burn, I can't get anything at all from this.

In safe mode I get a blue screen with 2 arrow buttons, one to start (which leads to a grey screen again),and the other a circular arrow which restarts in safe.

Have tried going to the black screen with white text 'mode' and entering fsck -fy and have got the message "hard drive appears to be ok" rebooted from there and still nothing.

Is there another step I should take in this mode?

Does it matter that I changed name of hard drive on my initial start up of computer when it was working ok (albeit without any software installed)

Hope someone can help-I don't think its a lost cause!

thanks

Dave

1

mayer

You either have to have a retail installation disk or the Gray disk that came with the machine to install the system. You also have to have the system requirements to install that system. The first G4 iBooks shipped with 10.3 installed and would take up to 10.4. The last G4 iBooks shipped with 10.4 and will take up to 10.5.8. Look in your battery compartment and maybe on the side walls of that to find out which machine you have, then we can better direct you to what to install. The amount of RAM matters.