0

Michael Perrick
1

The screen flickers, whites out and produces lines.

Macbook core duo A1181

Hello, my MacBook's screen flickers, whites out and produces horizontal lines. When I press on the left side of the display or press it from both sides, it often corrects it's self. I notice that it does not work with an external monitor either.

Edited by: machead3 and oldturkey03 ( ) , mayer ( )

What happens with the external monitor?

mayer,

On the attached screen does it grow worse or stabilize with running time? Does the system freeze or shut down? When you are pressing on the display is it towards the top?

ABCellars,

Actually, the external monitor is working after all. I just booted up the computer with the external attached and everything is working except the Laptop screen.

Michael Perrick,

The attached screen gets worse regardless of running time. The computer stays on and functions normally. I need to press the screen on the left side towards the middle.

Michael Perrick,

The external monitor working isolates the problem to the display parts. That's good! Now to figure out if it's the cables inverter or LCD. Does anything change when you move the display up and down? Has anyone ever worked internally on your Book?

mayer,

2

mayer

Please take a look at this teardown and note the position of the cables. Try pressing along those locations and let us know your results: Repairing MacBook Core 2 Duo Installing LCD & Inverter (fast method) A1181

1

Zootboy
275

Sounds like the LCD controller is dieing. The chips embedded in the screen's connectors are probably going bad.

It isn't likely that you can repair the screen itself, you will probably have to replace the entire LCD module.

Ok, thank for your input. I'll buy one right away.

Michael Perrick,

You might want to wait till the more experienced advisors here finish diagnosing your problem.

mayer,

Michael, the replacement display may sound appealing but if you're pressing on the left side of the screen, you could actually be pressing on the LVDS cable. When you're looking at the screen, it runs along the left 30% of the screen. I'd say that replacing the LCD is probably the easiest thing to do but it's not necessarily the correct answer.

Josh,