1

Carol Peabody
23

How can I tell how much memory my late 2008 mbp has?

I have a late 2008 2.4 GHz mbp that does not boot because of a damaged HD, which I will be replacing. I want to upgrade the memory at the same time. Without it booting, how do I tell how much memory it already has installed?

Edited by: Carol Peabody ( )

1

Skippy722

You would have to open it up and see how much each stick of ram is. There should be a sticker that says like "2gb" or "1gb" on it stuck to the ram.

Here's the ram with the sticker that says how much ram:

PC3-8500 2 GB RAM Chip

PC3-8500 2 GB RAM Chip

RAM Upgrade / 2 GB / PC3-8500 / Low Profile / 204 pin, 1066 MHz — 7 available at 29.95 each.

0

steven vasiliou
1

The standard is 2GB of RAM, however, even though apple won't confirm this, with the late model 2.4GHz you are capable of upgrading to 8GB of PC3-8500 DDR if you're on snow leopard and have the updated boot ROM version MBP51.007E.B05 which you'll find under the "About this Mac" extended view. I recently installed the upgrade and it works great. Something to consider to optimize performance.

"*Apple officially supports a maximum of 4 GB of RAM. Originally, this model was only unofficially capable of stably supporting 6 GB of RAM, but as confirmed by site sponsor OWC, it is capable of supporting 8 GB of RAM if updated to Boot ROM Version MBP51.007E.B05 and running MacOS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard."