0

alanglasser
11

Disk is good, but why won't the system boot from it?

This is my son's mac. He dropped it and told me it worked fine right after. He powered it off and the next day it wouldn't boot. He gave it to me and I tried the install DVD which doesn't see the hard disk drive. I removed the drive, plugged it into a SATA-to-USB and plugged that USB into my mac. I can see the drive just fine. I put it back in his mac, reseated the system board end of the cable, but the system wouldn't boot from it. I put a new, spare drive in his mac. I booted from the install DVD, which didn't see the new disk. I plugged in his drive via SATA-to-USB, selected it as the startup disk and did a restart. It booted fine from his old drive. I am guessing the only remedy is to replace the system board, but I was hoping for something simpler and less expensive. Anyone?

Edited by: David Hodson ( ) , alanglasser ( ) , mayer ( )

Apple MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.53 13" (SD/FW) Specs Identifiers: Mid-2009 13" - MB991LL/A - MacBookPro5,5 - A1278 - 2326*

mayer,

1

mayer

Edited by: mayer ( )

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Model A1278 Mid 2009/Mid 2010)...

Fix an unrecognized drive in your MacBook. Connects hard drive to logic board. Replacement SATA cable compatible with all Mid 2009 and Mid 2010 13" Unibody MacBook Pros. Options with or without bracket. — 18 available at 59.95 each.

1

Josh
1k

I would actually try the hard drive cable first. If you pull the cable out, do you notice any tears in it?

If you give us the model number, we can point you in the right direction for the hard drive cable.

It's an A1278. I actually pulled it out and inspected it between leaving the question and now. I don't see any tears in it, but I did think that replacing it might not be a bad idea. I erroneously thought the superdrive cable would fit the hard drive and thought to try that, but the connectors are not the same. I didn't see a MacBook Pro 13" cable like mine (with the IR sensor, sleep indicator). It's Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz

alanglasser,

This http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacB... looks like my cable, but it's for a 15" MacBook Pro?

alanglasser,

0

alanglasser
11

It was the cable. All fixed.

0

Douglas Gustafson
1

I got a new cable and it was not fixed, same problem. Both drives are good because they power up in other machines. I got a new cable for this machine and it doesn't even power up the drive.

The SATA controller shows up when I boot from USB though. Not really sure what the problem is.