0

Lorraine
11

Why iPod touch not charging. But the apple sign comes on.

My iPod touch 32 GB 3rd Generation is not charging. Battery icon comes on with red at the bottom like needs charging with lightning bolt like it is charging......then it switches to apple icon with lighted marks at bottom of apple then switches back to low empty battery icon after 5 or 10 min. then back to apple sign without lighted marks at the bottom of the apple....Please someone....HELP!

Edited by: Lorraine ( ) , Andrew Bookholt ( )

Sounds like your battery is bad. Will it still work if it's connected to an AC power source?

Scott Head,

Does iTunes recognize it? Please tell us more about this iPod was it dropped? Exposed to liquid?

ABCellars,

When connected to AC adapter it goes from low battery icon to Apple icon then shuts off then to the apple and so on. Computer does not recognize it. iTunes does not recognize it. Has not been dropped or water damage. Working one day not the next. I have another iPod and an iPad and no problems with either of them. I triednthe Apple fix of connecting to PC disconnecting iPod then hold home button while reconnecting iPod. That brings up the connect to iTunes icon but does not connect or charge. Also get charge with lightning bolt but it is not charging. I have also tried the off button hold home button....nothing seems to work.

Lorraine,

the answer from ABCellars did not resolve it? I just noticed your comment and had seen that you already accepted the answer. Did you clean the docking port like suggested? I would start off with a new battery, since nothing happened to your iTouch and it does behave the way it does.

I did't accept any answer I must have hit the wrong input. I have tried different usb ports, tried canned air cleaning the pins, tried different cords. If it were the battery wouldn't it just go dead? My computer does not recognize it and gives me a message " device malfunction" iTunes does not recognize it. I tried charging it overnight but it still goes through the same cycle. Apple icon....low battery icon, battery with lightning bolt as if it were charging back to apple. My computer does make the sound when I connect the USB cord like it is connected but then says device malfunction replace device. Pins do not look bent. Any other ideas??? : l

Lorraine,

1

ABCellars

Try using different usb ports. All usb ports carry 5 volts. Not all carry enough current to charge your battery. If that doesn't work try a different cord. If that doesn't work look for debris or bent pins in your charging port. Remove any debris if found. If you find bent pins there is a replacement here. The replacement part requires soldering. If everything has checked out to be in good order so far. You may need to change your battery the steps for do in that are hereand can be purchased here.

iPod Touch Gen 3 Replacement Battery

Installation requires soldering / 750 mAh — 24 available at 14.95 each.

1

Marc Halson
13

There is one other issue that can cause the fault state that you have described. On all of the ipod touch logic boards (brain of the ipod) the data in / out lines have a dual fuse attached in-line. Normally only one half of this fuse block goes dead but that is enough for the ipod to not be detected by your pc or mac and it will definitely stop it from charging.

I own and run my own business in Australia and we repair this fault all the time.

To fix this problem you have to be very steady with a good fine tipped soldering iron and have great eye sight or a good magnifier. As long as only one side of the fuse block is dead then you can safely by pass it with a single filament of thin wire. Please note when testing the block, test from the dock socket side to the direct opposite. Not across the dock socket.

The fuse block can be found, when looking at the ipod with the dock socket closest to you, just above and to the right. the block is about 2.5-3.5mm square with 4 metal legs, the tops are exposed for easy testing, (look like silver dots on the top of the block).

Hope this helps.

0

Nick
1

I have the same issue as yours, 3rd gen that when put on any type of charger, dock, AC or DC switches from apple icon to charging icon, but won't turn on. When unplugged mine stays on the apple icon until it shuts off. I dropped mine, but caught it by the docking cord. I'm pretty sure I jacked up my charging dock. Either send it in to Apple, or another company that will fix ipods. There are also a ton of internet and youtube tutorials on how to replace it. It is risky though if you aren't good with tools or have steady hands. Any screw up could cause a ribbon to be damaged and then you are up a creek.

0

Bryony
1

My ipod 5th generation has the same problem, i exposed it to water, the sound/speaker has stopped working and the charge hole isn't working properly, when i put the charger in it comes up with the battery sign and red telling me it's dead of charge. Ive left the charger in with this up but it seems to not be charging. The charger isn't faulty, it's a new proper apple make. Anyone have an ideas or advice to get my ipod charging again?

0

tristan lane
1

mine does the same but whenever it done it before i just put it into force restore and then turn of and turn on agian and its fine but its not doing it this time and im confused.... please help. its an ipod 32g 2nd gen. thanks