0

Carrie
11

Charge indicator blinking orange, will not power up

Cracked open my sons DSi to look into the right shoulder button not functioning. Put it back together and button still not functional. Opened it up again to clean button better, now the DSi will not power up and the orange charge light only blinks when plugged into wall charger. When I hit the power button, the blue light comes on for a second or two then goes out. Left it charging overnight with no success. Is it more likely that the battery now needs to be replaced or did I damage some internal component the second time I cleaned it?

Edited by: Carrie ( )

Discovered cause of blinking orange light! Opened the DSi to make sure the battery contacts were all in housing as they should be and noticed that the red and black wires going between battery terminals and circuit board looked odd. The black wire was completely seated in the slot but the red wire was pulled out just enough for me to see exposed copper. Pushed red wire all the way into slot and replaced battery. DSi now charges and powers up just fine.

Carrie,

by the way blowing into the trigger button that doesn't work is a good way to start with a faulty trigger button. alot of times dust gets in there but since you have torn it apart already did you check the rubber thing that sits on top of the button it's white/light grey if the circle isn't broken it's just dust. since it's a dsi look on the left/right of the side that's not working and take a deep breathe and blow into the machine really hard.

Xochitl Sandoval,

4

ABCellars

Try taking the battery out and re-seating it. That should solve your problem.

Done that, also made sure the battery contacts looked good and still no charge.

Carrie,

On a DSi the orange charging light blinking indicates improper voltage. It can be the sign of a bad battery, improper battery or one not seated properly. Please try re-seating the battery then put the charger on to see if the charging light stays sold prior to replacing the battery cover. Unless the battery has been exposed to water or directly shorted out I see no reason for the battery to be bad. Those battery die slowly over hundreds of charges. I have been repairing and selling Nintendo hand held game systems for 3 years. The only other thing that would make since is if one or more of the battery contacts on the system came out of it's housing. I can think of nothing you may have done when cleaning the trigger switch that may have caused the blinking orange light.

ABCellars,

I did as said here and it WORKED. It was the battery, remove and reseat, everything seems to be fine now. The orange light would blink, the blue light would go on for a second and shut off, but this seems to have resolved the problem. Use a small pen knife to get those small battery screws out. THANK-YOU

thompson,

0

kris
1

I just squeezed the metal part of the charger for a better connection and it fixed my problem. After spending an hour looking at connections inside my dsi, it was actually the charger's port/insert that was the problem.

0

Jorge
1

I had the same problem, I dropped it and the battery was out of place. It actually is kinda sensitive, so I tried as many things as you did, but in the end I had to put a little piece of ducktape on one side to push the battery against its corresponding metallic slots. It's kinda hard to explain, I made a little square thick enough to make the battery fit better into the space. What I think happened is, It fell so hard that the battery actually shrunk and wasn't touching the slots therefore not charging nor anything.

0

sarah
1

Check if its a nintendo licensed battery. It as to be a dsi. Battery for dsi and Xl battery for Xl. Look up the battery codes you'll find on a battery for your device. If your device still doesn't work, buy a nintendo battery pack.

0

Alan Averett
1

Its Easy, undo the charger and push the battery up and ducttape it, then put the charger back in!

0

paul78zephyr
1

We had the same exact problem with the right D-pad (cross) button and it was - temporarily - repaired with a replacement power supply board (which had the D-pad buttons on it). However a few weeks later my son said the unit would not power up and the charge indicator light was flashing. I opened the unit again and found that the two tiny red and black wires that go from the PS board to the motherboard had been 'pinched' between the case halves and damaged when I installed the new PS board (I can see conductors thru the insulation where it was pinched). These wires route thru a tiny slot to hold them in place and away from the case halves but I did not realize that at the time. Also upon close examination of the new board and the original board I have found that those tiny wires are longer on the new board and therefore their routing is even more critical as the 'excess' wire is very prone to be pinched if not routed just so. The bottom line for us is that the damaged wires must have shorted because I discovered that the tiny 'F1' SMT fuse on the new PS board is blown and that I cannot repair. I have verified that this is the root cause as I have re-installed the original PS board (with its bad right D-pad switch) and other than that the unit works normally. I have ordered another PS board at this point.

So if you replace your PS board due to a bad D-pad switch (or other reason) be VERY careful when you route the red/black wires between the PS board and the motherboard so that they do not become damaged.

0

minecrafterjason
1

took the battery out and put it back in didn't work

opening the dsi didn't work

squeezing the battery in to make contact with the pins didn't work

please help!

0

hdcp0012
1

check the f1 fuse on the board...I had to bridge it on mine and it worked...

0

Brian Popilek
1

Anyone have any ideas on my problem? I took my son's DSi out of a broken case and installed everything into a brand new housing. It worked fine before tearing it apart. Upon first power up, I had the bottom screen flashing on for a sec, then back off. I figured that was due to the upper screen's cable not fully inserted (I had the same problem on a DS Lite I fixed previously). I removed the mainboard again, fixed the ribbon cable and put it all back together. Now I started get the flashing orange LED. I have triple verified that all of the cables are correctly connected, but I can't get it to turn on again.

I have tried using the power supply board connected to the mainboard outside of the unit, and it flashes. Everything installed and all screens and ports connected, it flashes. I then tried checking the F1 fuse on the PS board, and found that it was dead. I replaced it with a jumper wire, and it still flashes. I checked the F1 fuse on the mainboard and it is fine. The orange flashing occurs if I have the battery in or out, but only starts as soon as I plug in the AC adapter. Sometimes I see the blue LED flash on very very quickly if I hit the power button, but other times it does not. But every time I hit the power button, the flashing light goes out and the unit does not power on.

I'm at a loss, can anyone provide any other ideas? I have some technical knowledge/skill, so I'm open to checking the mainboard if there is something there. Could I just have a bad mainboard or PS board? I appreciate anything you can offer. Thanks for reading!

0

tommy
1

i bought a dsi and mine i had for a couple weeks and one day i went to charge it and it wouldnt stay on unless it was plugged in then i did that for a while then it just wouldnt charge all together i put a working battery in the dsi and it still wouldnt worked and the battery from the broken dsi i put in a working dsi and it worked perfectly so it wasnt the battery its the system wat should i do bc its 90 dollars to send it in to nintendo and if that doesnt work then theyll giv me a brand new one soo any thoughts if soo can u plz email me at thomas223998@yahoo.com

0

Shauna
1

I tried all that stuff and mine still wont work

0

joe
1

dangit now mines doing the orange light crap i think its a improper voltage detection.. could be one of the cells in the battery not functioning

0

Jaspal Goshal
1

I had this same problem after soldering in a new game cartridge slot to the motherboard. Never done anything like this before so I was fretting when I saw the blinking orange light thinking I might have damaged the motherboard with my soldering iron, or linked two connections somewhere. Turned out after several hours of stress and googling to be a blown fuse in the power board. Just bridged it and now it works. Thank god.