0

andi
1

brake system problem, abs light comes on

my abs light continually blinks or stays on and says check brake system, all wheel drive also blinking.

Edited by: machead3 and oldturkey03 ( )

This is one of those issues where I would definitely take it to a qualified mechanic. Not something I would try to attempt to fix myself.

2

ABCellars

Many things could cause what you are describing. Without scanning your car's computer for what is going on it would be hit and miss diagnosing the cause(s). A number of people are not aware of this but many auto parts stores, including AutoZone, offer free diagnostic hook-ups. I would call around to find an auto parts store that does the free diagnostic scan on your car's computer. This is not a direct solution to your problem. It is the most economical and feasible one I can think of.

The computer diagnostic scanners that the auto parts store will hook up for free is the same one(s) used by many mechanics who will charge you for the service.

Good information here. If the diagnostic indicates a problem with the ABS I would agree with oldturkey and take it to a pro. +

rj713,

0

frank
1

andi,

this may be as simple as debris in the reluctor rings on any of the wheels.in winter or inclemant weather it is a common problem. since the warnings recieved have this signal in common you would be well advised to check these before spending diagnostic $$$$..

0

Genio
1

May want to google "tine gear" common issue with this truck. I own one and had this issue

0

Dan
1

1998 eddie bower expedition. change sensor rear differential.

Dan, if this is a question, give us more detail. What sensor? How many miles? What engine, which transmission, how many miles.....Every little bit of information will be helpful.

0

Roliver7584
1

I know exactly what this is, it is called the ABS Tone ring, replaced 2 myself, not overly complicated, yet not overly simply. It is common in these Escapes mine is 2005. My abs and 4x4 light came on, and sure enough it was the tone ring, happened to the other side 6 months later. Look behind the tire for something that looks like an exposed gear, with teeth connected to the axel, it is likely broken. there is one on all 4 tires, in my experience the fronts are more likely to fail. I got them at 1aauto.com. Luckily i sprung for the 2 pack since it was only a little bit more. Turns out my logic/intuition was correct, if one failed the other probably will, 6 months later bam! good luck.

0

Marge
1

According to my mechanic, the sensor failure caused the ABS and 4WD lights to come on. The sensor was damaged by the drive shaft to the wheel. Once the sensor is damaged the pressure applied by the brake system is inconsistent. In one day both my front rotors were warped. I had to replace two rotors, brake pads, sensors and get another part on the drive shaft that did not cause the sensor to break.

After hearing all this, I looked into Ford Escape brake problems. Seems like they can go out at any time and come back on without a cause???? Many people are writing about near acciddents, accidents and Ford's refusal to do anything about this very dangerous brake issue.

0

Will
1

07 Ford Escape. ABS light comes on intermittently and the system works at times when it is not necessary. Is this the module?