0

Jon Sim
71

Why is my battery charge going down when it's plugged in?

I've just noticed that my iphone's battery charge is actually going down even though it's plugged in to my in-car charger. It only does this whilst I have the maps app running. As soon as I close it down it begins to charge again.

I use this app fairly regularly and it always used to take charge whilst the screen stayed on. Is the GPS somehow using more power or is it just my crap battery?

Edited by: oldturkey03 and mayer ( )

Quick update. Cleaned out USB connector no improvement. Will open it up for a look when I get the chance. My phone is getting rather warm at times though. Especially when running particular apps(maps and games).

Jon Sim,

Phone sometimes does get warm using these type of apps. I'd check the battery with a multimeter.. Should be 3.7, any drop/damage to phone? have you checked the charge cord itself?

pollytintop,

Little bit of an update. The phone has started coming up with a message sometimes now when it's plugged into my car charger every now and then: "this accessory does not support charging" or words to that effect. I tried searching ifixit for it but no-one seems to have posted anything about this. Does this give any clues? ps. I haven't got round to opening it up yet but i did clean out quite a lot of crap from the dock connector.

Jon Sim,

The search function on this site only works if people put tags in... but there may be more answers under the search dock connector?? anyway I'd give the dock connector a very thorough clean. get out a small paintbrush and really clean! it may need something like isopropyl alcohol to get ingrained dirt off the pins. (turn phone off first and disconnect logic board from battery)If that doesn't work and the battery isn't draining, I'd just put up with the alert. Ours has done that with a bose dock since day 1! Do your problems only happen with incar charger??

pollytintop,

What kind of car charger are you using? I had a USB charger that didn't deliver enough juice and my iPhone would charge and then not charge. Finally had to get rid of it. But I seem to remember a message similar to the one you describe also periodically coming up.

Wizbang FL,

2

pollytintop

maps app uses triangulation off cellphone masts... basically it's a huge battery drain as it's sending/receiving signals constantly...

It shouldn't noticeably drain your battery when it's plugged in to mains/charger though. It may be that your in-car charger isn't delivering enough power to compensate-I'm not sure what the output of in-car chargers are.. I'd start troubleshooting with the charger/USB connector; look for damaged pins/wire/dirt.

1

ABCellars

WIFI or 3gs connections are heavy drainers of the battery. You have not mentioned what firmware/operating system is installed on your iPhone. Also if it is unlocked and jail broken. Have you tried restoring your system since you noticed this happening? You would be amazed at how many bugs that are fixed with the iPhone by doing that. You have not mentioned anything about the battery life during normal use. If the battery is on the way out it will lose amperage capacity. Amperage is the electricity. Voltage, in essence, is how fast it is moving. Please tell us more about your iPhone and your attempts to resolve the problem.

Edited by: ABCellars ( )

0

Tim Gelvin

Sounds like the battery is not taking the charge any longer. Some batteries, when they have gone completely dead, then they are DEAD and you have no choice but to replace it. Another reason is that your charger had died and needs to be replaced.

0

Wizbang FL
129

GPS uses a lot of battery. Depending on the car adapter it may not be generating more than it's using. Also I agree that if the battery has been run dead too often it will cause the battery to charge more slowly~or at all.

Edited by: Wizbang FL ( )

0

Ryan
643

There where some battery issues in iOS 5.0, if this is what your on then update to iOS 5.0.1 or higher

Edited by: Ryan ( )

This Month: 1,328