0

Olembe
1

iPhone 3G crashes when trying to play any media.

The iphone was dropped and the digitizer cracked. I replaced the digitizer, but then the phone would only start if it was plugged into my macbook, eventually it stopped doing this too.

I then replaced the headphone jack ribbon and replaced the battery. The iphone will start now and I have restored software.

Now the problem is that it will not play back any media... ipod app works but when I press play it doesn't start playback it just does nothing.

Youtube will start to load but then goes black when video starts to play, then it goes back to the video information screen.

I also tried streaming a pod cast through the itunes app directly and the same result.

No sounds work, non of the ringtones make a noise when they are selected, iphone crashed restarted itself, when in settings > sounds > ringtone.

I followed instructions about resyncing with itunes.... didn't work.

I have now downgraded the software to 3.1.3...... didn't work.

Now iphone won't start and shuts down when I force it to start.

Does this mean the logic board is damaged? Or is there a genius fix out there that can fix the software?

Would replacing the dock connector section fix this?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated!

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , Olembe ( )

4

pollytintop

http://images.appleinsider.com/iphone3gt...

to get to audio ic you'll need to remove the metal shield over the motherboard. (ic is labelled wolfson) check it's intact/attached. Someone on modmyi.com had similar problem as you describe which he fixed by reflowing this chip. How you chose to do that is up to you.. But it's not for the novice solderer.. If you know someone who has skills and tools take it to them.

Sorry it's taken a while to get to this... I don't think this is a software problem, if the prob was in the dock then you'd still have headphone and earpiece working. As it's crashing everything I think this ic is more likely to be the culprit! Good luck

+ for diagnostic skills

mayer,

Thanks polly. I'm not confident on reflowing the chip.. I'll have a look and see if it's damaged maybe ask a friend. would this also cause the iphone to shut itself down when you leave it to sleep/lock? Thanks for your advice!

Olembe,

0

repairthat
143

I'm unsure about the current status of your phone. You say it won't start and shuts down when you force the start. But you also say now the problem is that it will not play back any media.

Can you get it into recovery or DFU mode and get it connected/visible in itunes?

It's possible that replacing the dock connector may help, but more info is needed before I'd be comfortable telling you to buy one as a sure solution.

Thanks for your reply! yes I can get it into recovery DFU mode and it is visible and connected to itunes, so far performing system restore hasn't changed the situation at all I've factory restored about 10 times. The phone will also start up and works .... until I try and do anything to do with sound or media in which case whatever I was doing crashes sometimes the phone crashes completely sometimes just the app and I can return to home screen. I will try replacing the dock connector. Do you have any other suggestions? What else do you need to know? Thanks again for replying!

Olembe,

Olembe, have you tried a different app?

Other apps seem responsive like google maps, weather, notes, contacts, safari, camera, messages, calendar .... all these apps seem to work fine and don't cause crashes.... what does this mean?

Olembe,

delete all apps one by one until you find the one causing the crash... or try an update of all apps via itunes. sometimes a rogue app or one that requires a lot of input will crash your phone. start deleting the most recently added or games that are driving etc until the crashes stop.

pollytintop,

ps. if you downgraded to 3.1.3 is the phone jailbroken? in which case it may be a cydia app that is the rogue..

pollytintop,

0

starletersboy
1

same problem and the IC sound codec is the problem... reflow will fix this