0

Sebastian
1

Replacement of Harddrive: SSD with SATA 3

Hey there,

I have read that the new OCZ Vertex3 SSD will have an SATA 3 6.0Gbit/s connection. Does the SATA controller of the new MacBook Pro series (8,1 8,2 8,3) supports SATA 3?

Thank you for your support!

Sebastian

1

mayer

This article should give you all the information you need on Macs and support for SATA 3, USB3, 6 gbps and SSD support: http://www.stationstops.com/2010/02/17/a...

0

Skippy722

I believe that the harddrive will work regardless if the SATA controller is SATA 3 or not, it just won't at its full speeds. That SSD will still provide a very nice performance boost though. SATA 3 is backwards compatible

Don't forget to mark whichever answer satisfies your question, if any.

Hi Skippy722, Thank you for your reply. The performance of a SSD drive with SATA 2 is quite nice. I have currently installed a Vertex2. But I was wondering if I can reach the full speed of 550MB/s with a Vertex 3 SSD via SATA 3 in the new MacBook Pro.

Sebastian,

Via SATA3, yes you will see full speeds, in a perfect world. There are other issues, so those numbers are just the absolute maximum that the drive can do.

Skippy722,

0

James Tedrick
1

The article cited by mayer is about last year's notebooks. Apparently the HDD shows as SATA 3, but not the DVD drive (that may be a SW limitation; a similar situation happened with SATA 2)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.p...

Edited by: James Tedrick ( )

0

Perez
1

My macbook late 2009 has sata-2 hard drive interface. I got a SSD SATA 3, Kingston Hyper SSD 120. Will it work if I connect the ssd sata3 with the sata2 connector inside my macbook?

Adriel.