0

gabriel
1

when turning on, get only a question mark on screen

Hi everyone, thanks for looking! My MacBook pro, upon turning on, only goes as far as showing a big fat question mark in the middle of the screen. It doesn't seem to be starting the operating system and I think that the hard drive is not working either. Is the Hard drive dead or is it a motherboard issue? How can I tell? This happened suddenly, after I repeatedly tapped on the touch pad in quick succession 10-15 times. If it is a hard drive issue, is there a way to "resuscitate" it? I have a lot of data on it.

1

mayer
200k

Your machine cannot find an operating system. Boot up from your system installation disk, insert the disk and start up holding down the "C" key, go to the second page pull down menu to Utilities -> Disk Utility and see if the drive can be repaired. If no drive shows up, you'll need to replace it. Come back and give us the last three letters of your serial number and we can direct you to the correct installation procedure