3

Rita4259
37

Red x in circle

my ipod classic 80 has a red x in a circle and won't go into disk mode does that mean the hard drive is bad? It happen when I hooked it to my computer and upgraded itunes to 9. I am using window xp.

Edited by: pollytintop, oldturkey03, rj713, mayer, and Jake Devincenzi ( ) , machead3 ( )

Can it hold a charge?

rab777hp,

23

Trey Dollarz
579

Well, i believe you have a 6th gen, slim 80gb iPod classic. If i am correct, iTunes 9.X (What ever version) should be able to work with it. When a red X appears on your iPod screen, espically the 6th gen classics, it is usually a harddrive failure. If it charges, you know it's not the battery. Try formatting it with windows then do a restore on it from iTunes. If that doesn't work, try giving it a good hand slap on the table( the sync port pointing down to the table). I know this might sound "barbaric, but the the needle in your harrdrive might have been displace and needs to be realigned. Also, the cable that connect your harddrive to your logic board might be slightly loose. This will help you connect. If all else fails, which i hope it doesn't, then i believe you should sell it on ebay or try and purchase a new harddrive. A harddrive for this model can be found on ifixit.com

I love the "bash it against the table" solution- it's worked several times for me. 1+ vote.

Josh Calvetti,

Trey you are the man!!! I bashed my iPod classic 80gb....I had nothing to lose as I had the red X and it wouldn't restart..so I read your advise and smack! Next thing it makes this noise that I'd never heard before...like a fax modem then it's good as new! You are a champion, thanks heaps!

Jacko,

that was CRAAAZZYYYYYY!!! my iPod was whacked out and then i did the smack on the table... it made a sound like dial up internet and then i heard a familiar whirrr of the hard drive spinning properly. YEA!!!

Coleman Williams,

How should it be smacked or on what??

kayon,

Trey thanks very much you are clever man i did your intruccions and work so well

diego,

3

markus weiher
29k

1

Michael Berg
13

somebody has to open the iPod and replace the hard drive. The cheapest way is to do it yourself and you should get away with around $70. The part is available on ebay. Here's a iPhone Repair guide on http://www.portatronics.com/guide how to disassemble an iPhone. Maybe a tech savvy friend can do it for you. If you want to pay to have a service do it for you there are third party Services such as ifixit.com

Edited by: Michael Berg ( )

Sorry Michael, I think you may have misunderstood the modus operandi of this website. iFixit offers no repair service of any kind, but rather provides well documented and photographed repair guides, as well as the parts necessary to complete these repairs. For example, relevant to hard drive failure of this particular iPod model, there is this guide and these parts.

Brett Hartt,

1

jane smith
13

If Your iPod Displays a Red "X" Icon:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1463

1. Put your ipod into disk mode

If you don't know how to put your ipod into disk mode:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1363?viewl...

2. Connect it to your computer

This Month: 1,051