0

Tedyot
11

Can't remove ignition key from ignition

1998 Honda Accord Ex 2.3 4 cyl. Ignition key stuck in the ignition will not turn all the way to last position to be removed, car starts no problem but only key available, and cant duplicate unless I remove it. Is there a pin stuck in the lock cylinder holding it in? I have tried moving the steering wheel, and transmission in the park or neutral position without any luck.

Edited by: Tedyot ( )

1

ssforest
43

get some graphite lock lube. Also, you might have some wiggle room if it's not the valet key. The valet key has thicker edges which block it from entering the trunk and glove box.

There are many other solutions, depending on how much time you have, but start there if you just want the key out. If it's a copied key, the blades might be a bit rough so just keep wiggling the key with the steering wheel pulled and foot on the brake. Gently try to turn the key to the out position while pulling on the key a little bit. just don't force it, as it could twist the blades and make them lose alignment with the tumbler pins. if it's twisted, try un-twisting it.

0

Tedyot
11

Well Thank you ssforest for the advice, I did exactly that you said, and worked, within 3 minutes I had that key out and lock cylinder working perfect.... Thank you for your advice seems that's the best fix for that problem.

im happy someone helped you with yours. i hope your car is running. wish this guy wld know bout chevy caveliers. lol good luck. mine makes a noise on left turns. cant find the answer im female and lost god bless i think accords r great cars

lynn,