0

kathryn
1

Possessed iPhone! It's doing it's own thing! Started with home button.

I think I may know what I did wrong now that I look back...I had yanked this old iphone cable from my iphone without realizing that it had those side lock buttons...

Then my home button stopped working. I took it in and they told me to re install everything. I did that twice and it went to the emergency screen. So I brought it back...and they said they'd fix it only to tell me that they couldn't because I had "unlocked" it and therefore voided the warranty. I actually had to ask them what "unlocking" was!!!!

Anyways, so frustration aside, I picked it up today and was able to restore everything from my backup. But then it started acting up. Now the screen goes back and forth as if fingers where swiping to the search screen or the second screen of apps. If I open an app, it automatically goes back to the home screen and then jumps around to other things. It's acting like it's possessed!!

Anyone know what's really wrong here?

kathryn, this is happening since you restored it? have you tried to restore it again? Do you know which firmware you have? And is it unlocked and/or jailbroken?

Oh yes and please remove the phone from any case you may have on it. Remove the screen protector too if you have one on there and try it again.

My home button stopped working out of the blue. Not related to any upgrade of the os. I brought it to the store and she suggested it was because I hadn't upgraded. So I upgraded and nothing changed. Then a week later I brought it back and she told me to do a hard reset. Tried that several times and then did a restore several times as well, but it could never fully restore properly. It would go to the emergency screen (but I was able to back it up). So finally they sent it away, and it came back in a few days because they "claimed" that I had unlocked or jailed broke it. I didn't even know what that was and had to ask them to explain it to me. I told them it was impossible. So, anyways they kept to their story and told me the warranty was now void.

kathryn,

Fast forward a couple months, by pushing the cable in and holding it more tightly I was able to restore completely from the back up. Then it started acting like it's possessed. The home button was never fixed. So now if I hold the usb cord in more tightly I can make the home button work, but now it's going crazy, as if a ghost was moving things around.

kathryn,

By the way, thanks so much for the help so far.

kathryn,

3

pollytintop

The home button problem may be related to damage to the dock connector when you removed the USB, if you take a look at the dock connector part you can see on the top some gold squares which are the contact points for the bottom of home button. You may find that if you open the phone the dock connector is loose or moved/broken mounting screws, which is why you have contact problem. Depending on what you find either repair the mount or replace the dock.

The problem with the touch screen may be resolved by just reseating the cables for the touchscreen, no2. it may be that the nice people who claim your phone to be unlocked and jailbroken have not put the phone back together properly! have a look at the connection, make sure it's not damaged or dirty, reseat connection, reset phone and see what happens.

Old turkey makes a good point about screen protector and covers.. they may be tricking your digitiser!

1

kathryn, you could try doing a hard reset. Hold down the lock and home button for 25 seconds. then turn it back on.

It that does not totally resolve it then do another restore. Hold the home button then plug it in to you computer, that will start the restore process. Of course make sure you back it up before you do this so you don't loose any data. Now what about the home button? Did it get fixed, does it need to get fixed? What is it doing that you think it needs to be fixed. Are there any other issues with the phone that could be responsible for that. It is possibly that all your issues are related to an upgrade if your hardware is okay.

0

philmccrackin1965
1

Replace the dock connector assembly about $10 on ebay and about a 15 minute fix for me anyways. The home button makes contact to that board and these do go bad. Thats why your holding the cable in and it is somewhat working. You can also replace the home button also that is a bit more involved but the part is again like $6 or so. Spend the $20 and have someone who can take it apart and fix it for you will work like new again.

0

Roger
1

Please let me know if that worked for you. I'm having the same issue with my new iPhone 5s! :(

0

sharonstults
1

I have found that using some cheap after-market chargers causes my iPhone5s to do that. It quits as soon as I unplug it from the charger. No trouble with using genuine Apple cords. A Belkin also worked. I just watched it runthrough some of my sent text messages and then it typed a gibberish word and sent it without me touching the phone! The first time I saw it act like that it flased all kinds of screens and apps and suddenly tried placing a call to an unknown number beforeI could unplug it! While it is under that "influence", I couldn't get any control using the home button. Glad to know it isn't being remotely hijacked. See if that is what is causing your problem. I assume some kind of electrical incompatibility. The first time I also noticed the phone get very warm in a short time!

0

David Williams
1

My iPhone

5 has been behaving like that since last year. I'll be sitting there at my desk with it next to me, plugged in or not and all of a sudden it will start going through menus, deleting messages, selecting this and that and like I said it happens all the tim , plugged in or not.to the metadata so maybe it[s secutoty jamming the 8900