0

Jarrett Lauderdale
113

My screen comes on intermittenty.

My LCD will cycle on and off by itself while the phone is on until it drains its battery. Nothing I can do will fix the issue. I was hesitant to restore it because I was jailbroken and unlocked on 3.1.3 but I did and that didn't help either. It just goes on and off repeatedly. It never stays on for longer than 5 seconds or so but it will stay off for about 10-15 it seems. Anyone know what the issue could be? I've had my 3G apart for some time as I was using another phone and I reassembled this one to sell it and this is what is happening. Switching out LCD assemblies does not rectify the issue. I've done a hard reset and even restored through iTunes. Is this a video chip problem? Anyone know how expensive the fix is? Has anyone even heard of this? I've searched here and the rest of the Internet and not found anything.

3

pollytintop

It may be the sign of a dying or faulty battery. if this is the original from new battery it will be several years old now. they are cheap enough to replace... if it's new it may be faulty.

The only other possibility is the power button is jammed on... so phone turns on only for message to turn off again. Try loosening off the power switch screws.

I noticed you've just updated a post about power buttons and new rear cases. Is this board in a new case? try putting in the old case and seeing whether the problem is still there.. it'll help narrow down where the problem lies.

0

Jarrett Lauderdale
113

Very good insight. I'll definitely have to try those out. I have a couple spare batteries to give that idea a shot and yes it is in a new case. But, as I explained in the update, that seems to work very well and I get very good action on the button. I'm leaning more to the battery just from knowing its age and knowing that it has been in and out a couple of times and that bending isn't good for the internal cells. I'll update tomorrow.

0

Jarrett Lauderdale
113

Well it wasn't the battery so I guess the power switch is the next candidate. I also replaced the dock connector assembly (I had one on my desk) to see if there could have been an issue with the home button contacts shorting or something and that did nothing. I have some other phones I have to get to before I can work on this but I will update when I can.