0

owenspencer
1

How to waterproof iPod shuffle?

I am wondering how dificult it would be to make this mp3 player waterproof. There are several companies like Swimmman and H2O friendly that will waterproof a standard iPod shuffle for a premium. What points of failure would need to be closed? I suspect some epoxy would do the trick.

You want to listen to an Ipod while swimming? There's a waterproof bluetooth headset call Wavetooth. You could use it with a bluetooth-capable IPod or Iphone. The latter could either stay dry on land, or else you could put it into a completely sealed bag. What makes a shuffle difficult is that you couldn't seal the headphone to it, since then you could not charge it. Perhaps if you had a sealed bag that the headphone cable passed through in a watertight way, it might work.

cityzen,

3

I'd stay away from epoxy since it may be a PITA to remove it if you have to. How about using something like the wax around Babybel Cheese. "The wax that we use for the coating of this product is made up of an appropriate mix of paraffin wax and micro crystalline. There is no Bisphenol A in the wax" or just use a waterproof enclosure like offered here http://www.okwenclosures.com/enclosures/... then you only have to content with one slot you may need to create for the USB cable. Just my 2 cents....good luck and stay dry :-)

3

Bob
49

Turns out it is easy to waterproof a music player for a day or even a week but it is really challenging to get it to last. I toasted more shuffle's than I care to admit with what I thought would be a waterproof solution. I finally got this one that is rock solid.

underwateraudio.com

I love it.

I bought my waterproof shuffle from underwateraudio for $175 !! and it works great. Before that I had a $70 dolphin brand (which only played mp3s) until it broke. I too was wondering how folks from waterfi or underwateraudio make ipod shuffles completely waterproof . I'm sure I wont find the answer right away.

alexjuareznelson,

1

Dustin
13

After destroying three iPods, I finally gave up and purchased a waterproof iPod shuffle from Audioflood.com. Best investment I've ever made!

1

Imported
13

Still testing it, but have had it fully submerged in water for 6 (edit: over 14) hours now with it playing music. Every so often, I pulled it out of the water to skip songs and press/move buttons and switches.

All I did was use a syringe to inject dielectric silicon grease into the shuffle through its headphone jack. Being sure to really pack it in to fill all the void. That was it. Real easy and seems to be working. Do not use anything that hardens....like epoxies. This would probably ruin the controls as once it hardens, you pretty much locked the controls.

If this is mostly all the companies do that sell these ipods, well...its like robbery. The skill to do, time spent and material cost is no where near the justifacation for the charge, other than wanting to make 500% profit (just guessing). If they dont open up the casing, there is not much more they can do than what i am discribing here. As far as warranty to replace if it breaks, well at the prices they charge, you can buy three iPod shuffles or more...so whatever.

Will continue testing it in water to see if it fails. Will begin lap swimming with it once I get my Pyle headphones. Will update this post once I have more than 100 hours of it in the water, statically testing. As well as a few sessions of lap swimming in a pool.

I also have ideas to do this better. Make a cut out with a rubber mate just big enough to clear the clip on the back, but still covers the gap that the ipod shuffle's cover has. This is so when you inject the grease, it doesnt seep out the gaps around the cover as much. Maybe inject a little bit of acrylic conformal coating in first. With it face side down/clip side up (PCB is on the clip side and I think the opening is mostly right there) move it around to hopefully spread the conformal coating over mostly the PCB. Repeat this with the clip side down. Have a syringe and the dielectric grease ready to go as you want to be done injecting the grease as well before the conformal coating sets. Probably have @5 minutes. Be sure to clean out the headphone jack of the conformal coating as it is an insulator. Don't need to worry about the dielectric grease other than for aesthetic reasons. In fact, I'd leave the dielectric grease packed in the headphone jack and even repack every so often. Also, don't think it is necessary since the waterproofing is done from the inside out with the grease, but maybe apply a nice coat of conformal coating (it's pretty much a rubber seal) around the gap of the iPod shuffles back cover plate.

UPDATE: I statically tested it in a glass of water for over 70 hours, done doing that. Have maybe 6 hours of swimming laps with it. Pretty sure whether the companies do it like this or better, this way works too. Will only update again if it fails prematurely as a result of water.

Edited by: Imported ( )

1

Hash Ish
13

Either Jeff works for Waterfi or he doesn't understand the character of this site....

0

Nathan Pier
1

I found this product on Amazon... Hope it helps.

http://www.amazon.com/H2O-Audio-INT4-BK-...

I am dealing with a similar issue... building a shuffle 4th gen into a hockey helmet. It doesn't need to be truly immersible but it needs to be protected from all the nasty things inside of my helmet.

0

Roman
11

How about applying 3M Scotchkote Electrical Coating on the logic board. Is any one have other ideas?

0

Royce Nicholas
1

Ha the above comments appear to be from the companies themselves. I work at Waterfi formerly h2ofriendly and I can't give many details but I can say that you should expect to break a few before you make your own. Its more difficult than just waterproofing a static circuit board because of the moving parts.

At Waterfi we just invented a new dual Layer Waterproof technology that blows everything else out the water in terms of durability and corrosion resistance. It also has a 2 year warranty. We have been waterproofing the current shuffle the longest and have the most users with over 30,000 so you are in good hands :)

Royce

Edited by: Royce Nicholas ( )

0

Connor
1

hey imported, how did you inject the grease through the headphone jack? I am planning on attempting this modification. Also, in your suggested improvements you suggested the conformal coating. Would you inject that with a syringe as well? And how would yo suggest cleaning it out of the headphone jack? Also, I don't quite understand you about the rubber mate? Sorry for the numerous questions. I just want to do this right! I think you are so right about these companies. What a rip off! BTW, how is your shuffle holding up?

Edited by: Connor ( )

hey imported, how did you inject the grease through the headphone jack? No need to open up anything. Just making it harder than it has to be Hash. The companies that do this even make claims that you don't have to worry about them messing up the player from what they do because they never even open it up. That was one of their selling points and what made it obvious to me that they had to go through the headphone jack. Conner, I am sure you already figured out your own way, but I used a 1cc oral syringe. You can also simply cut the tip that comes with the silicon small so you can just squeeze directly from that into the headphone jack. I have done a few other peoples shuffles, takes me about 1 minute to do and @$1 at most of supplies, so no I don't understand why the companies that do this charge so much. My shuffle is still working great and I lap swim anywhere from 3000 yards to 7000 yards 4 to 5 days a week.

Imported,

0

Jeff
1

Try using CorrosionX HD. We have been using it for years to waterproof RC model electronics subject to water, snow... HD proofs against the more aggressive saltwater.

Either aerosol or fluid, simply collect enough in a jar to soak the shuffle, remove and let dry for a day. Should work fine in the pool or ocean.

I like the added step of filling full of dielectric grease to give even more protection. The swimming application is a bit more dynamic than the occasional dunking of airplane electronics in a lake.

What about using a short headphone jack extension cable to be able to keep the connector constantly in the jack and sealed w/grease?

Evidently my yahoo email got hacked on may 2 by a waterfli employee.

Jeff,

0

Hash Ish
13

I waterproofed mine almost two years ago, I took it apart and covered all the components with silicone aquarium sealant. Two years later, and it still works. Granted I don't use it all the time but lately I've been using it twice a week. I have no sealant or anything on the outside, just everything gooped up on the inside. Works great!

It takes a good hour and some patience to do this right, so I understand why the companies charge what they do. Also, removing the back of the shuffle is hard to do with out bending it, it can be done with no tools, just pull from the hinge side carefully. Make sure you seal around the round button assembly and move the switch back and forth a few times to ensure it works properly. Don't cover the electrical contacts on the buttons, cover around the headphone jack good, the ribbon cable closure, the IC, and the battery terminal. Lastly, make sure you let the silicone out gas for at least a week in a temperature controlled environment, i.e. indoors not a garage. You'll need small tools and a magnifying glass and good light. The syringe is a great idea, I actually just used a cardboard stick (from a q-tip).

0

Mike
1

Imported,

I've tried your method on two different shuffles. Both failed... One within two days and the other three weeks later. It makes a mess and doesn't work long term. I wouldn't recommend it.

0

Jeff
1

Just buy one on Waterfi.com or one of those sites that makes them. They are not that expensive!

0

myemail
101

There is a a diy kit to waterproof your iPod shuffle and earphones at http://nanostate.co/waterproof-ipod-shuf...

0

Irish Jack
771

0

Tara Tompson
1

I think the best way is to just not waterproof it. It's just not fool proof and you could ruin your Ipod. there are ways to listen to music when there's water around I think you should find other ways.

Tara | http://www.smithyswaterproofing.com.au/c...

0

steverobo67
1

Hi you can also use Flash Flood by Nanostate Uk to fully waterproof your ipod shuffle it is the only DIY kit avail on the market using the very latest military nanotechnology and its easy to apply visit www.nanostate.co.uk

Team Nanostate

0

Neil
1

Underwater Audio sets the bar

Underwater Audio has a much, much better history and quality of product than audioflood and other brands out there, in fact these other brands out there have been mimicking underwater audio's waterproofing processes and products. Why settle for copy cat cheaters, underwater audio is the real deal and they have blown me away with their loyalty and service to me as a customer, and their products are top shelf! From working out in the pool to snorkeling, underwater audio's waterproofed shuffle and swimbuds just impress me all the time, best purchase and investment ever!

0

UnderwaterAudio
1

One of our employees pointed out Neil's post to me. Neil is not an employee of Underwater Audio but like thousands of other delighted customers feels strongly about our waterproof iPod. I understand this forum is about DIY but listen to Neil. He is right. Way to speak out Neil, you tell'em. (PS. We have the best waterproof headphones too!)

http://www.underwateraudio.com