1

Matthew Holland
23

How do I clean corrosion after water damage?

I have an iPhone 4 that was immersed in water, but apparently worked for an hour or so before any problems were evident. It has spent two days in a bowl of rice, but I decided to open it up to see what's going on. The two water-sensitive stickers on the back of the logic board have turned pink, and there are copper salts deposited on the logic board near the bottom of the LCD connector (the connector outlined in orange at Step 17 here: iPhone 4 Logic Board Replacement).

I'm thinking that I will try to clean up this corrosion before trying to plug it in again, but I'm not sure what sort of tool to use. Are we talking isopropyl alcohol and a Qtip, or is there some other accepted approach?

Edited by: Matthew Holland ( )

3

Matthew Holland, if it is strictly a cleaning the logic board issue, I use isopropyl alcohol with a greater than 70% alcohol concentration, your local pharmacist can get it for you, and scrub the board with a small brush (tooth brushes work well) This will remove most of the corrosion. I do know that some people pre-treat their boards by cleaning it with distilled water and then use the alcohol which will displace the water. Either way make sure that you let the board dry very well after and stay away from any contact cleaner, etc. Hope this helps, I am sure there are 100's more suggestion and ways to do it, but these are my 2cents :-)

Thanks. We ended up just going to the Apple Store with an OOW replacement in mind, but ended up benefiting from the famous Genius "leeway" and got a free replacement.

Matthew Holland,

How on earth did you manage a free replacement?! I went in and they told me $60 minimum plus tax. My warranty is up though :\ Any advice would help!

Brunelle Lewis,

Thanks for this info, just fixed my seemingly "dead" iPhone by using 91% Iso alcohol and a toothbrush, just as suggested, just hours after Apple Miami Beach had told me the phone was not repairable ... saved me 200 dollars ... Thank you!

Eric Rogerson,

You are welcome ;-)

2

mfolta83
87

It is important to clean with 99% isopropanol, ethanol or alcohol, dont use 70%, it is to much water. When you have a ultrasonic take the isoporpanol inside and than the iphone logicboard.

Be carefull that the mikrophone and the speaker have no contact with the isoprobanol.

How about 91% IPA? mfolta83, are you using the alcohol in the USC? I have a different mixture I have found to work great, but yours seems to be a viable option as well...

Andrew,

0

epohl
37

The best solution I've found to remove corrosion is boiling water. I take the Main PC Board out of the phone, boil water in a coffee cup in a microwave then place the board in the water. VERY IMPORTANT DO NOT PLACE THE BOARD IN THE MICROWAVE. After a minute or two carefully remove the board and scrub both sides with a tooth brush. When the board is completely dry return it to the phone. I've used this sucessfuly many times with water damaged Ipods, Iphones, & other electronic devices at the repair shop I work for.

0

zappymax zapata
1

comprerssed air, or a hair dryer on cold or low heat position could help to displace isopropylic alcohol, and placing the stuff under the sunshine for a while even in a glass enclosure, but for a VERY short time, depending on sun power..

0

kyle
1

Can i use hydrogen peroxide

kyle, do not use hydrogen peroxide. It doesn't evaporate like isopropyl alcohol and you'll have a mess for a long time. You would have to use isopropyl alcohol after that to clean the hydrogen peroxide :-).

only for bleaching hair? or in the olden days for treating large ulcers on bottoms. I can't think of a good use for this in electronics though..as it's an oxidant I'm thinking it might cause more rust????

pollytintop,

0

Christian Marcus
13

Hello, Holland, I recommend this article for you http://www.any-data-recovery.com/tips/ip... which tell you how to deal with water damaged iPhone with 5 ways.

Edited by: Christian Marcus ( )

Christian Marcus, if you read the comments and answers, you will find out that this was resolved 2 years ago. Your link is definitely not very appropriate since it absolutely does not address corrosion damage at all.

0

ozarkana
37

I just got an iPhone 5 that had water sensors tripped. When I opened it up, there was oxidation (a whitish powder) found inside it and all around the edges where the LCD top fits in the body. I used a toothbrush and an Xacto knife blade to remove most of it, but do I need to remove the main board to see if there is more on it?''

If I remember my basic Chemistry, oxidation is caused by moisture affecting a "bi-metallic reaction" that causes oxidation. Is this the reason the iPhone 5 was discontinued? Steel reacting to aluminum caused by water being the catalyst?

This Month: 1,149