0

DINO WU
33

After house power surge, iMac won't turn on anymore.

During using iMac G5, my house power surge due to conventional oven shorted, since then the iMac G5 won't turn on anymore. I'vd tried press the reset button which is on the mother board ( without electrical power plug in ) but no help. Is it the power supply dead?

Best Regards

Dino

Singapore

Edited by: DINO WU ( )

Do you get anything? LED light on the front, tone, diagnostic LED lights on the logic board

mayer,

1. The power cord checked with 230vac. 2. Plug in the power cord and pressed the power switch, nothing happen and removed right speaker checked all 4 LED remain silent.

DINO WU,

Thanks Mayer, My iMac S/N:W85479ANTAR, the power supply is Y5545567TC2A. can I go ahead to order the power supply from ifixit?

DINO WU,

3

mayer

If all the LEDs are off, the first thing to do is replace the power supply. Look at the power supply where the cables enter and see if the area looks burned. Examine the "cans" capacitors on the logic board for swelling and/or corrosion on the tops. See if your machines serial number falls with in this range:

Serial Number ranges:

W8435xxxxxx – W8522xxxxxx

QP435xxxxxx – QP522xxxxxx

CK435xxxxxx – CK522xxxxxx

YD435xxxxxx – YD522xxxxxx

I just noticed that this is the last G5 iMac model (iSight). The part number you need is 661-3780. The one iFixit is selling will work for you, but what country are you in? The shipping may be unreasonable.

mayer,

Just confirmed the 230VAC reach the power supply board but no output from power supply.

DINO WU,

Hi Mayer, I'm in Singapore, may need to ask the part from Apple warehouse locally, BCZ Singapore is an Apple service/spares hub for Asia Region..

DINO WU,

You may have a problem with Apple because of the machines age. Apple no longer supports it but this power supply was used on a whole line of Intel iMac and should be plentiful on the local eBay.

mayer,

Thanks for the acccept

mayer,

0

Adam
1

Dumb question, but you check the power strip? Maybe it shorted out and you need to reset it, unplug it, or plug your mac straight into the wall. I had a similar problem and it was the power strip. I unplugged it for a minute and replugged it and in. That fixed it. This is probably not the fix, but always try the simple stuff before diving into the mac.

0

Asha
1

Happened to me, tried different plug in house, waited 2 minutes, MacBook is restarting, thank you fairy god mother..